Volume in exclusive mode much lower than without (OSX)

Using a Geek Out V2, I’m having an issue where the output volume from using exclusive mode is much lower than if I turn off exclusive mode, max the device volume in Audio MIDI Setup, and control the volume via Roon. The behavior with exclusive mode off is giving me the volume levels that I expect, while using exclusive mode leaves me with much lower volume than expected for a given volume setting.

More info: I’m running the latest version of Roon and latest version of OSX on a 2009 Macbook Pro.

No volume leveling on? It’s on the queue page, under the little gear on the far-right.

Volume leveling is off.

I think I figured it out. It appears that the two different methods of volume control simply have different volume curves. I can’t measure it, but max volume sounds like it’s the same level whether I’m using hardware or software volume control. Hardware volume control seems to get louder more slowly through low volumes and then ramp up quickly the nearer you get to max volume, while the software volume gets louder more quickly through the lower part of the scale and then more slowly as you get near the top end of the scale. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for letting us know @tiohn!