Volume jumping to 100%

I m gonna quit Roon, it sucks big time. It’s killing my Meridian speakers. While music is still playing and I reopen the app, the volume jumps to 100%.

Have you raised a support request?

I use Meridian and never have an issue, you should perhaps ask support for help here. This cannot be correct.

No I have not. I will not play with Roon for now because I don’t trust it anymore. Playing good old UPnP again.

There is an issue, and you will be missing out. Just tag support and ask. As I said, this is not a problem most people are having. You can even set volume limits in Roon.
My Meridian start up volume is set to 60 in config on my 218. I also had this setting in my G61R.
What is your setting?

Hi @Wim_Enting,

Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing difficulties here.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Did this behavior only start after the 1.6 update?

Do you experience this behavior with any other endpoints?

Volume 35 at startup. Meridian 218 with a set of DSP7200.

I wil reply on this tomorrow if it’s oké with you.

I recommend setting volume level limits. I once had the volume go to 99 on my little Meridian 3200s (also connected to a 218 but this was before Roon 1.6) and the scene that unfolded from there, if captured on video, would make some serious money on YouTube. Let’s just say that the best I could cone up with was lunging across the room and yanking the main power cord. My heart was beating in my throat for another 30 minutes. I’m not sure what happened, but could very well have been my fingers that triggered it.

I’ve since set the volume limits on all zones with Meridian DSPs. I can only imagine the racket you hear with 7200s.

@dylan and all, I’m als experiencing jumps to 100% volume when initiation playback on a Naim Mu-so endpoint using Airplay.

1. Settings before initiating playback: volume set to 30

2. Aso before - mu-so comfort set to 50, max 75

3. On playback volume immediately whacks up to 100, rendering slider unusuble because it’s above comfort so difficult to correct quickly too:

I believe this issue emerged first after the mu-so was updated to latest firmware implementing Airplay2, and Roon’s subsequent ‘workaround’ for Airplay2.

Note 1. I had seen volume jumping to 100 haviour before but only when playing from Roon to the Mu-so via Squeezelite on a Microrendu (so Mu-so as a DLNA renderer), but it’s a path I hardly use. (and avoided for this very reason)

Note 2. I have found other mentions of this issue on the forum, but no solution, bar the suggestion to ‘hardcode’ the mu-so itself through its app to not play above a certain level:

I believe this works, but only in the sense that 60% on the mu-so app will be equivalent to 100 in Roon? If so, it may prevent serious harm to tech and body for now… but not a real solution.

EDIT
Note 3: here is a link to a thread and split-offs reporting similar behaviour with Airplay.

and another one, mainly on DLNA

I also get volume jumping to 100%. It usually occurs after I change something such as whether FLAC compression is enabled or not (Squeezebox). Potentially also occurs when changing other system settings - thankfully, changing DSP settings doesn’t do it.

I too have the issue with Muso playing at 100% despite volume levels being set at 50 . I have a full Muso and a QB . As the OP states this only started after the AirPlay 2 workaround was released

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Max volume on start - airplay [Ticket Open]