Connected Audio Devices

1. Hardwired Roon Bridge / Allo DigiOne / SPIDIF to Dac
  2. ChromeCast / Endpoint
  3. iPad Air / Remote and endpoint
  4. iPhone / same
  5. Windows10 / Remote

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Second time I caught the iPad on full volume, even with limits set as recommended with lock screen controls. I no longer put headphones on till this is checked, very dangerous!

Volume limits only apply to volume set within Roon. Are you using the volume buttons on the iPad? We can not restrict those.

Hi Danny,
Thanks for your reply.
No, I’m not using the iPad buttons to set full volumes. The usual iPad behaviour is that it remembers the last setting for its speakers and another setting for headphones. Plugging back into my headphones for a listen has blasted me with full 100 volume, before I even touch any controls. With this in mind I have no reason ever to set my headphones to 100. Aren’t volume limits supposed to prevent this?

I believe this has started when I enabled locked screen controls. I have many end points and have not been able to find out which combination would make the iPad go to full volume.

EDIT: I do have a few end points that are set to 100 max for A/V receiver, raspberry Pi, or Chromecast. Perhaps Lock Screen controls are mirroring these settings.

Thanks,
Jason

Probably this which is a pain for all of us who enabled it and even after disabling, it still turns volume to max.

Wondering when it will be sorted.

1 Like

This is really dangerous. I hope it gets fixed soon!

1 Like

volume limits only impact how roon changes the volume. if the device is changing the volume underneath us, we can do nothing about that. Same goes for volume limits on a USB or Networked DAC that has a volume knob. The volume limits do not impact that knob – it’s only for the Roon UI (and lockscreen controls which in turn tell Roon to change the volume).

Yes, I understand your explanation. Nonetheless the behaviour is unintentional and dangerous.

I can also confirm @RBO observations. I turned off lock-screen controls, forced quit the app, and restarted the core.

1. Open the app and confirm the iPad volume is at 7.
  2. Switch zones to ChromeCast, which is set to 100 for powered speakers.
  3. Play some music for about minute.
  4. Stop music.
  5. Return to iPad zone and confirm volume has been changed to 100.

I have taken a video of this and have been able to repeat it multiple times.

Thanks,
Jason

There is a thread on here about this issue and has been acknowledged by Roon support.

Am out and about so can’t search now.

@danny would be so good to have this fixed soon given how damaging max volume can be.

1 Like

Hi RBO,
Thanks for letting me know there is already a thread on this topic. Please send me link when you can, I can’t seem to find it in search.

Cheers,
Jason

Here you go :slight_smile: Roon now highjacking iPad volume since update [Roon Investigating] - #29 by RBO

1 Like

Thanks Raz.

1 Like

Welcome Jason.

1 Like

I’ve closed this thread — We’ll give updates in the Topic linked by RBO above when we have them. Thanks!