Volume rising uncontrollably on mobile remote

Roon Core Machine

Macbook Pro running latest Ventura 13.1 OS
M1 Pro
16GB memory

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin 200MBS
Wired via TP Link extenders (aware this may restrict).
Also running on wifi.
Android and iOS remotes

Connected Audio Devices

Arcam irDAC/USB
KEF LSX 50s on the same network, via android and iOS remotes

Number of Tracks in Library

just over 1675 albums

Description of Issue

When using the android and iOS mobile remotes with the KEFs, on adjusting volume the + button seems to stick and the volume continues to rise on the output device, uncontrollably until it reaches it’s maximum. Only a core reboot resolves.

This may not be a Roon issue. I recommend that you also contact KEF. I had a similar problem with an in-warranty amp a couple of years ago, and it turned out to be a known issue. A new main board was needed.

Fred

P.s. my amp is a Cambridge Audio, so shout out to them.

1 Like

Thanks for the response @Frederick_Davidson. It does only happen when using Roon though. The KEFs are also hooked up to an LG TV and this has never happened with that.

Ok, good luck

Hey @Stephen_Fletcher,

Thanks for your patience while we work through each thread, and I’m extremely sorry to hear about your volume increase issue on your KEFs. Following up on this thread, are you still running into issues here?

Does this only occur when using the KEFs as endpoints? If this issue does pop up again, can you take a quick note of the date and time and share that information here?

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

Hi Ben, thanks for the response. I’ve stopped using the + and - buttons now on the remote as it seems to happen very randomly. Using the slider it’s not an issue, but yes it has happened on numerous occasions and only with the KEFs. Interestingly when it does happen, it also means the sound is at full volume from other sources like the tv. It’s like the + button gets stuck, or is still somehow reading a touch.

Hey @Stephen_Fletcher,

Thanks for letting me know!

Are you only using an iPad as a roon remote? And to confirm, this happens on both your android and iOS devices?

Have you dug into setting volume limits as a precaution, while we continue to investigate this issue? Here is more info on this:

As a next step, we would need to grab a set of mobile logs from a device after recently expereining this issue. If by chance this does pop up again on your iOS device (getting android logs can be tedious) you can use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks Luke. I’ll look into the volume limits, hopefully that will work. And I’ll use iOS as the remote more, see if the issue appears and then try to share the logs. I usually default to my android mobile remote.

1 Like