Volume suddenly jumps to 100% on its own continuously in a progressive manner

This issue was investigated several times most recently in Sept of 22. The ticket was closed 45days later without resolving this major issue. Has Roon made any progress on this topic other then suggest putting in volume limits on your node.

This was the original post

Any additional information welcome with regards to this potentially major speaker damaging issue.

1 Like

I have also been experiencing it in one zone run through a rPi with Roopiee, where I also use a Microsoft Dial with rooDial. I don’t use the zone very often so have not tried very hard to run the problem down. I did update the old software on rooDial, but it made no difference. I also disabled rooDial and disconnected it, but the problem remained, so I do think it is Roon itself.

Anyway, I very much agree that there is still a problem out there which ought to be being addressed.

1 Like

Thanks Simon for your feedback.

Just found out that if I download Roon onto my laptop using Windows 10 this volume anomaly seems to no longer be an issue. Will report back on long term results. To be succinct the issue of the volume just all on its own raising to maximum levels has only happened on my Samsung Android Flip 3 phone and an older Samsung Tab5 tablet both using Android or mobile software.

1 Like

Interesting. My problem zone is normally controlled from an old Samsung tablet or occasionally from my new Samsung phone, which fits your scenario.
BUT frustrated by the issue, when I tried adjusting the volume for the problem zone from a Roon remote on my HTPC, the same problem occurred…

1 Like

Simon I hear your frustration…I just had the retailer change the streamer (Wattson Madison) I had purchased and things seemed better more manageable. Via my Samsung Flip it occurs occasionally but I set up volume limits so all has worked out to a degree. When it happens I simply shut down Roon on the phone and re open it, and its back to normal. My Wattson is left on and does not go into sleep mode, but still looses its IP overnight. A real PITA. Hopefully Roon will figure this out, its been an issue for some time now.

1 Like

Had same problem yesterday very very worrying my wife thought a bomb had gone off

1 Like

I have the same. Like a bomb, and the sub adds to it. I have a Nuc running Rock and some Sonos around the house. I stream from Qobuz or play my own flac.This hits the Arc and sub and probably more. It always happened when streaming. It happened now and just before Yule, and never when adjusting volume.
I spent twice half an hour with Sonos support and had dowloaded logs and things for them. They were very helpful, knowledgeable but had never heard about Roon. So they found all very interesting, but concluded it is not a Sonos error, probably Roon and maybe Qobuz. They asked me to use the Sonos app and stream directly, to see if anything happens then. For three weeks now, nothing. The Sonos app is so inferior, that I may go back to Roon even with the threath of bomb-sound.
Any news or suggestions on this issue is very welcome, and topic should not be closed till the mystery is solved.

So, it has to be Roon app on Samsung S22+. I had the issue when streaming Flac from my sdd, so not Qobuz. Never, when listening to TV. Never when playing using the Sonos app. Probably not Sonos then.
Any suggestions from Support? Could the app trigger a BOOM. Or, the ROCK software in combo with someting Samsung?
This is real, it goes BOOM!

Thinking very very “out of the box”. :upside_down_face:

In the past I experienced that things like screen protection foils can have a very bad influence on equipment. Tapping on an old iPad had various results. For instance during surfing or navigating a webshop. No reaction when someone was tapping. Or “random” behavior when no-one was tapping at all. Especially when there is dirt around the edge of the foil. Or when someone puts his/hers fingers around the edge to hold the iPad/smartphone. Or when the iPad/smartphone is held in a protection case.

I removed the plastic foil and the dirt, and all problems were vanished.

Just a suggestion. :innocent:

Good point! However, this happens when not touching the phone, or when the phone is away, too. My initial thought was that I had it in the pocket and somehow touched the volume button - but no… - also the other reports suggest something more software-related. So - yes - I will keep looking for something physical - but for now - I suspect something in the software triggered by something :slight_smile:

Well, well. Sonos helpdesk was not completely candid then. The Sonos Arc [not the Roon one] has a similar issue with Dolby Atmos. They don’t know the cause. So why not with a FLAC stream from Roon?

Oh, and Sonos calls it a pop. It is an explosion.

1 Like

Gee. What about that. :slightly_smiling_face: (I mean no joke here. I agree with you).

1 Like