VPN: step-by-step

I found a solution, activing the IGMP snooping on my router, all works fine

I got Roon working over VPN very easily using the Softether VPN server on windows 10 which is running on the same machine as the Roon Core server.

I’m using the standard L2TP/IPSEC VPN client settings that are built into both IOS and Android with no problems.

Im using Google Wifi Mesh network at home behind a broadband router in bridge mode, so I just had to add some port forwarding rules for the VPN server and that was it.

It even streams dff and dsf 352 DoP files without resampling or any stuttering.
I do have 100Mbit/40Mbit network that helps a lot with that! (40Mbit out from my house)

If anyone is interested I can create a video guide and screenshots.

6 Likes

Please do so

3 Likes

+1 :+1:
Please do!

4 Likes

Thanks @Hilton_Kelly !

First attempt failed for me but port forwarding UDP 500 and 4500 plus making sure to login with username@vpnhub on the VPN client (iPhone) did the trick.

I don’t get it, there are loads of users writing that they cannot get vpn on iPhone to work with 1.6 and ever so often someone writes, it works perfectly. So please you people who have it working on iOS give the rest of us detailed instructions.

I have a VPN at home via my fritzbox router and absolutely everything I want to access from outside my home works perfectly, as if I were actually at home in my network. The only thing I could never get to work was Roon. In my iPeng days also everything was easy.
What is so different about Roon and why has no one ever posted a truly detailed guide? The discussion has been going on for years.
So clever people please help us not as clever people to have Roon goodness out on the streets.

1 Like

I suspect the people who are able to get this working are running the roon server and the VPN server on the same host. Since it is also the VPN server it is multihomed into both subnets. Is there anyone who has this working fine who isn’t doing this?
If only they built a simple vpn server into the rock…

1 Like

I connect to the VPN in my firewall appliance.

I guess the core/vpn server on the same host would only be helpful to the TUN style vpn that the iDevices are limited to. Laptops and androids wouldn’t be affected if they are using the TAP style vpn. Not a vpn expert though. Talking maybe 25% out my butt …

Torture zone :wink: lmao

2 Likes

It seems to me that all of the random success stories are for iOS/Android endpoints with the Roon client app also running on it, which I think helps things out a bit. What I would like to do is play to the roon (bridge) endpoint in my remote office … but I can’t even get Roon on my Mac laptop to see my home roon server after many different attempts with different vpn solutions … let alone allowing the roon server at home see my roon endpoint in my office.

Install Roon on your laptop and switch between cores: home/office.
Use your vpn to access your music.

1 Like

After several attempts I got it working. My first attempts failed because the VPN server in my Orbi always assigns VPN clients to a different subnet. So this is my setup:

1. Forwarded the VPN ports on my Orbi to my iMac (which is also running my Roon Core)
  2. Activated the (built in) VPN server on my Mac. This is not trivial; but is easily done by making use of iVPN app by MacServe. The VPN server assigns the clients an IP address in the 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200 range.
  3. Limited the address pool of the DHCP server on my Orbi to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99.

This makes sure the VPN clients are on the same subnet as my Roon Core.

Then I activated the VPN on my iPhone and iPad in the settings app.

If the VPN on my iPad is active, it is able to connect to the Roon Core. I can browse and use the app, but I was unable to stream the music to my iPad. The iPad just never shows up as a Zone…

Steps to setup streaming:

1. Activate the Squeezebox setting in Roon settings.
  2. Install iPeng (and the IAP Playback) on my iPhone and iPad.
  3. Using the button in iPeng switch back to the Roon app.

Now iPeng shows up in Roon as a Zone. Select it, and voila.

It works, but is not the nicest solution. Also, I don’t like having to spend money on this workaround after already paying Roon (which in itself I don’t mind obviously). I hope that Roon will enable WAN stream in the near future. But for now: I’m able to stream while away from home.

4 Likes

its extremely strange.

I am running on 1.6 and for some reason, I can vpn in and roon works on my iphone if i am on 4G network. If I am on my office network, the vpn works but my roon ios app cant find the core even if i specify the core ip address.

Just a tip to get this working.

It seems like most VPN server will not give the same IP address subnet as the rest of the network to avoid conflicts. E.g. your network are all on 192.168.1.X. Your VPN server will insist on using another subnet like 192.168.2.X

This is usually where the problem starts. I went around it by specifying that my DHCP server use the range 192.168.1.X subnet 255.255.248.0 What this does is that it means 192.168.2.X 255.255.248.0 is the same subnet as 192.168.1.X. That solve all the disconnect or cant find the core issue.

2 Likes

That’s what I tried the first time as well. However, the VPN server of the Orbi recognised that, and assigned an IP address in 10.0.0.X :slight_smile:

Limiting the pool of IP addresses available for the DHCP server did the trick for me.

1 Like

My iPhone iOS 12.x / iPad iOS 12.x are not a Roon Endpoint as soon as I am outside our premises. This happened as I upgraded to Roon 1.6 …

It brought me gray hair, finding a way to get Roon in my CarHiFi and during traveling abroad. I only came to the point that I could see the Roon Endpoint inside our premises and control them, but my beloved traveling companions like iPhone or MacBookPro were not in the ZoneList.

Now I have found a solution - and works fine without problems for already 2-3 months. Buy yourself a RaspberryPi3+ install Raspian Stretch and SoftEtherVPN and you are done! Once installed and configured and as far as tested, any device what can handle VPN L2TP and TAP and should work.

If interested I am willing to write a how to …

2 Likes

I would love to know how.

Hello CrystalGipsy I do see U are familiar with Raspberry pi … so if you have a RaspberryPi3 Plus somewhere in your drawers that is the start, next you need a decent power supply 2.5Amp

Next install Raspberry Strech.
When done Prior to install SoftEther set port forwarding on your router to Raspberry Pi Port numbers are UDP 50,51,500,4500, 1194 and TCP 5555
Log in to your Raspberry Pi and open terminal, or you can do ssh pi@raspberrypi.local

login as: root using command sudo su

Download the server:
wget http://www.softether-download.com/files/softether/v4.21-9613-beta-2016.04.24-tree/Linux/SoftEther_VPN_Server/32bit_-_ARM_EABI/softether-vpnserver-v4.21-9613-beta-2016.04.24-linux-arm_eabi-32bit.tar.gz

and extract
Extract the filestar zxvf softether-vpnserver-v4.21-9613-beta-2016.04.24-linux-arm_eabi-32bit.tar.gz

Change the directory to the newly extracted directory
cd vpnserver

While inside the vpnserver directory and as a root run the make command
make

Read and agree to the License Agreement to continue the installation
Once finished go to parent directory
cd …/

Then move the vpnserver directory to
/usr/local/mv vpnserver /usr/local/

Go into the directory we just moved
cd /usr/local/vpnserver/

Now set the permissions
chmod 600 * && chmod 700 vpncmd vpnserver

Test your installation by starting the VPN server
./vpncmd

If successful, select any of the options, then type exit to exit the program (I selected 3)

Set up auto run to make the VPN server start at boot by creating a file in /etc/init.d/ named vpnserver.
Content of vpnserver file:

#!/bin/sh

• chkconfig: 2345 99 01

• description: SoftEther VPN Server

• DAEMON=/usr/local/vpnserver/vpnserver
  • LOCK=/var/lock/subsys/vpnserver
  • test -x $DAEMON || exit 0
  • case “$1” in
  • start)
  • $DAEMON start
  • touch $LOCK
  • ;;
  • stop)
  • $DAEMON stop
  • rm $LOCK
  • ;;
  • restart)
  • $DAEMON stop
  • sleep 3
  • $DAEMON start
  • ;;
  • *)
  • echo “Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}”
  • exit 1
  • esac
  • exit 0

==============================================
Use nano
nano /etc/init.d/vpnserver
Then paste the content of the file and save (press Ctrl + x, then Y to save the changes)

Set the proper permissions
chmod 755 /etc/init.d/vpnserver

Verify that the script works by running the command
/etc/init.d/vpnserver start

Finally, register the startup
scriptupdate-rc.d vpnserver defaults

Set the VPN Server password by running the
./vpncmd
and selecting option 1

Hit Enter for each question to use the default value until you see “You have administrator privileges for the entire VPN Server” message

Then use the command
ServerPasswordSet
to set the admin password

Then exit en reboot your Pi

Starting and stopping the vpnserver:
always go as root into the vpnserver
sudo su
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# /etc/init.d/vpnserver start (this start the vpnserver)
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# /etc/init.d/vpnserver stop (this stops the vpnserver)

Well that is all to do for the raspberry - next go to your Mac or PC and download the Server manager for either Mac or PC form https://www.softether-download.com/en.aspx?product=softether
and install on your computer.

Next follow procedure for Softether manager connect to your raspberry and setup virtual Hub… if you need more info sent me your mail address

good luck and have FUN

5 Likes

So I take it you need you core to be on windows or mac?