W10 - Roon Remote - Unresponsive white screen when launched on secondary monitor

Roon Core Machine

Irrelevant as this is an issue with the Roon Remote on Windows 10 and has nothing to do with Core. That said: Synology DS918+, Roon Core installed on an SSD. Build 850 - latest.

Roon Remote Machine:

Remote: Latest - build 831
HW:

• AMD Ryzen 5950x
  • NVIDIA RTX 3090 - 496.49; Earlier drivers exhibit the same issue.
  • Remote installed on a Samsung 980 Pro
    Displays:
  • Asus PG279Q, G-Sync enabled, 165Hz - connected via DisplayPort
  • Asus VG248QE, running at 60Hz - connected via HDMI

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Not relevant - not a network issue. Roon core operates fine and roon server on my PC continues to work when the GUI does not. I.e. audio playback from my PC works fine when controlling it using my phone.

Connected Audio Devices

PC → RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Not relevant since no issues with audio playback.

Number of Tracks in Library

Not relevant - ~3k albums stored on WD Red disks on Synology DS918+.

Description of Issue

The Roon remote GUI does not work when it’s launched after having been last used positioned on a secondary monitor. When this occurs the server components are still working perfecty. Using my iPhone as a remote and I can play back music from my Roon Core on the Windows PC without issues.

So to repro the issue:

1. Open Roon Remote
  2. Move Remote to secondary monitor.
  3. Close Remote - it will now remember its location on the secondary monitor.
  4. Open Remote - it now hangs indefinitely, showing “Not Responding” and displaying a blank white page.

This is consistently reproducible and the temporary fix is to:

1. Disconnect secondary monitor
  2. Open Remote
  3. Close Remote so it remembers its location on the primary display.
  4. Reconnect secondary monitor.

I took a memory dump of the roon.exe process and ran an analysis. Unsurprisingly - this shows an 80000003 exception in the EnumDisplayMonitors API call - EnumDisplayMonitors function (winuser.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs.
I can provide the full memory dump or analysis output.

This problem has been reported by other people several times in the past, but a resolution was never offered and I can only assume those people have either learned to live with this problem or have given up on Roon.

I’m happy to do whatever you need to assist in getting this resolved once and for all. If there’s any more info you need from my end, I’ll gladly provide it. Also willing to install a debug client or anything else.

Hi @William_Vannuffelen

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. We apologize for the delay in responding. I had hoped to get back to you sooner and appreciate your patience.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re some issues with your Windows remote. Since there’s been a delay in getting back to you I wanted to inquire whether you were still having this issue on Build 884? Could you please send us a status update?

We’ll be watching for your message and get back to you soon as we can.

Hello Jamie,

Thanks for the response. No worries about slow response times, it has been the holiday season for us all!

I gave it another try earlier this morning and I can confirm that I can still consistently reproduce the issue on Roon Remote build 884 on Windows 10 20H2.

Kind regards,
William

Hey @William_Vannuffelen,

Thank you for getting back to me quickly about this. Sorry to hear this is still happening.

Aside from this issue is Roon behaving normally otherwise? Do you see similar behavior on your machine from any other applications you use?

Can you confirm that you’ve checked to ensure that no recent Windows graphic drivers were installed on the machine and that you have the latest manufacturer’s drivers installed?

If the drivers are solid and you’re only seeing this behavior with Roon then please recreate the issue for us, note your local time when doing this, provide that information in this thread, and use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

We’ll take a closer look and see if we can determine the cause.

1 Like