Roon Core Machine
Irrelevant as this is an issue with the Roon Remote on Windows 10 and has nothing to do with Core. That said: Synology DS918+, Roon Core installed on an SSD. Build 850 - latest.
Roon Remote Machine:
Remote: Latest - build 831
OS: Windows 10, latest 19042.1348
- AMD Ryzen 5950x
- NVIDIA RTX 3090 - 496.49; Earlier drivers exhibit the same issue.
- Remote installed on a Samsung 980 Pro
- Asus PG279Q, G-Sync enabled, 165Hz - connected via DisplayPort
- Asus VG248QE, running at 60Hz - connected via HDMI
Networking Gear & Setup Details
Not relevant - not a network issue. Roon core operates fine and roon server on my PC continues to work when the GUI does not. I.e. audio playback from my PC works fine when controlling it using my phone.
Connected Audio Devices
PC → RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Not relevant since no issues with audio playback.
Number of Tracks in Library
Not relevant - ~3k albums stored on WD Red disks on Synology DS918+.
Description of Issue
The Roon remote GUI does not work when it’s launched after having been last used positioned on a secondary monitor. When this occurs the server components are still working perfecty. Using my iPhone as a remote and I can play back music from my Roon Core on the Windows PC without issues.
So to repro the issue:
- Open Roon Remote
- Move Remote to secondary monitor.
- Close Remote - it will now remember its location on the secondary monitor.
- Open Remote - it now hangs indefinitely, showing “Not Responding” and displaying a blank white page.
This is consistently reproducible and the temporary fix is to:
- Disconnect secondary monitor
- Open Remote
- Close Remote so it remembers its location on the primary display.
- Reconnect secondary monitor.
I took a memory dump of the roon.exe process and ran an analysis. Unsurprisingly - this shows an 80000003 exception in the EnumDisplayMonitors API call - EnumDisplayMonitors function (winuser.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs.
I can provide the full memory dump or analysis output.
This problem has been reported by other people several times in the past, but a resolution was never offered and I can only assume those people have either learned to live with this problem or have given up on Roon.
I’m happy to do whatever you need to assist in getting this resolved once and for all. If there’s any more info you need from my end, I’ll gladly provide it. Also willing to install a debug client or anything else.