"Waiting for your Roon Core" with frequent pauses

As long as the Roon binaries are running, you can look at the logs to get the version. It’s not ideal, and I didn’t see a way to ask the actual binary for a version, but this works:

% grep -i "_version" ~/Library/RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt | head
07/12 15:01:12 Trace: [roonapi] [apiclient 192.168.1.23:60538] COMPLETE Success {"core_id":"<UID>","display_name":"RoonMac","display_version":"1.8 (build 988) stable"}

100% agree. I estimate that I spend ~4 hours per week fighting with Roon to either fix issues, ask for support on the forums, doing my own troubleshooting, etc, which is literally insane for a piece of software that I pay for. Imagine if you had to spend 4 hours per week keeping Netflix up and running? No one would stand for that, no idea why the Roon community tolerates it.

Before 1.8, Roon was amazing. Since 1.8, Roon has been so unstable it’s basically become unusable, which is crazy sad b/c they basically own this market.

I renew in about 10 months and will be spending that 10 months looking for an alternative that supports streaming to the endpoints I invested in before 1.8. If I’m going to spend this much time on keeping music streaming up and running I’d prefer to use OSS software where I know what I’m getting and/or have the ability to fix things for the broader community rather than my own env.

1 Like