We want your ideas for Playlists!

Carl

Thanks for that, 1 click and now can go straight to my track favourites :+1:

1 Like

My request is similar to @WKW’s: album view. I’m an album listener and I like to have playlists like for example “Best Albums 2016” of “Summer”. During a listening session, I rarely use playlists, as I sometimes switch continuously. However, when we have guests, I like to have a sequence of albums instead of having to get up and choose another album each time. Think Cuban, or Ethiopian, or jazz or classical, depending on the weather, the guests and the mood.

With the current playlists, when I want to fast forward in my playlist, I have to scroll ridiculously to get to an album. For example, in my playlist “Best Albums 2016”, I have included the Rolling Stones In Mono Box. For this box only, I have to scroll through a few hundred tracks just to get to the next album in my playlist. I think it would be much easier to show the albums, with the possibility of a drop-down menu or something similar for the album tracks.

2 Likes

I find Tidal do this very well. Playlists for all occasions.

Hi Chris, I don’t have a Tidal subscription, but do you mean the Tidal app, or (also) Tidal integrated in Roon?

The Tidal App integrated into Roon is the only way I use Tidal really.
The themed playlists seem to go on forever. (Dinner Parties, Parties, BBQ’s Etc etc) just to many to begin to list. ( Party, Relax, Workout, Love, Focus, Seasonal each with many subsections. In Relax you get ‘Chillot Delux’ or Jazz And Coffee. or Scandanavian Noir to Neo Soul Folktronica. Not forgetting Sleeping on a Bus. It’s endless
You really need to get a free trial to try it out and see for yourself.

1 Like

Hm, sounds interesting Chris! However this still leaves something to be desired from Roon playlists, as my understanding is that e.g. ECM refuses to make its music available through Tidal (or whatever streaming service), and I’ve got hundreds of ECM cd’s. The same, I suspect, goes for classical and world music, perhaps jazz too. But then again, perhaps I underestimate Tidal and indeed have to try it out myself first :wink:

i want playlist out of ie. most known tracks in my library, and maybe best resolution, and in top of it, maybe a list of proposals of different artist names
jens

4 posts were split to a new topic: ECM (Edition of Contemporary Music)

Hi,

I come back a few months late to this thread because I still cannot turn on album view in playlists (actually the ones Roon imports from iTunes). This is very unpleasant because scrolling through hundreds of “songs” is ridiculous. And yes: Some people use playlists this way and others that way. Today I was looking for a set of music from ECM that I digitized from vinyl (en entry in ‘comments’ in iTunes). What I do in iTunes is creating a playist with ‘comment contains vinyl’ AND ‘comment contains ECM’. Then I turn on album view to find search for a particular album and ‘song’ within the album. It’s a shame I have to resort to iTunes for doing this after having paid so much for Roon.

It cannot be so difficult to allow album view in playlists, PLEASE.

1 Like

In Roon I add useful comments in the ‘Version’ section of an Album. These display clearly on the Album screen.
I have many radio plays digitised in MP3 etc and label them ‘Cassette’, or ‘DAB Radio Grab’ or what ever I find useful. This I have done for Vinyl Rip also.
I have a tag for these audiobooks that I can include or exclude with a couple of clicks.
It’s all very efficient for me.

Just thoughts on my behaviour.

Thanks for the hint, Chris. This is useful for you and it would be useful for those who just start collecting music inside Roon. For those of us with thousands of albums already in iTunes it is no option to relabel all of them accordingly.

Yes, I see your point. Perhaps version 1.3 will address these issues.

IN Roon, that would be, I tag my Albums with “Vinyl” and I do a focus on tag = vinyl and label = ECM, total of about 4 clicks, which can then be saved to a bookmark and then brought up in 2.

1 Like

+1 for Album view. This is how I use playlists as well: to have collections of (related) albums.

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to create playlists e.g. “chillout” or “beebop” with entire albums. The purpose is not to necessarily play the playlist in order, but to group albums, so that for example the albums can be sequenced in a random order but individually played in order. If the entire album has been added to a playlist, Roon could detect this and group it as a single item in the playlist. This could be a global setting for all playlists or even better each playlist has its own settings, then it would remember whether it should be played in order or randomly.

Hi Pete,

There are quite a few changes coming with Roon 1.3 in this area, I think you will like it.

Was going to ask the same question; glad now I didn’t!!

This might be there already, but can we have a facility to merge the songs on a playlist - essential for parties!

Hi could you clarify what you mean by merge song?

Are you thinking “Auto DJ” mixing where the is a track overlap with the next track fading up whilst the present fades down?

As a classical music collector i mainly listen to vinyls but I also have to manage my 760 digital albums. iTunes is bad in terms of audio quality but the code was written by good programmers and here is what is needed in Roon in terms of playlists:

• sorting albums by covers looks nice but does not function when you need to scroll 760 albums to create a playlist, we need an option so that we can look at albums as text likewise you have for tracks.
  • we need the possibility to search albums by date so that we can look at the most recently uploaded files and move them in the appropriate playlist.
  • we need two different types of playlists, one that can be manually uploaded and an automatic type of playlist so that albums with a common artist (Callas), composer (Bach JS) or title (Kantatenwerk or Mozart 225) can be uploaded automatically withoud the need to select each of the 200 albums of Mozart 225 manually.
    Andrea Tubaro
1 Like