We want your ideas for Playlists!

Apologies if this has been posted before: I would like the ability to retain where I left of (last track played in a playlist). This is particularly useful for long playlists that I would like to listen to entirely but cannot do in one a single listening session.My current workaround is transferring the remaining playlist in an unused endpoint where I can find it when needed and resume the listening. But, this way I can retain only one playlist.

1 Like

sidebar -> tracks -> focus on picks -> play

1 Like

You could save the remaining queue to a new (temporary) playlist.

IMHO, the biggest issue for playlisting in roon is lack of track level sonic attributes including genre. I would highly recommend getting a solution for this. I’m am biased here as I was the CEO of Gracenote for a decade and invested heavily in this area (including dsp tech, machine learning and musicologist), but they have a product called sonic styles which enables trackers to be identified with audio fingerprinting (which could be run at the same time roon does its audio analysis) and then provides access to dozens of audio attributes (mood, tempo, song structure, key, micro genre, etc, etc, etc.) that would provide a rich platform for great playlisting. Without a better platform, roon playlisting (other than manual creation) will never be great.

4 Likes

I would like to build playlists as follows:
The playlist itself is simply a capture of a play history/queue - select a range track in history/queue and have an option of save as playlist - job done.

To go with this, what I really want is to be able use the private zone on my iPhone to locate a track (I can preview it in that zone) and then push it to the queue on a designated zone without having to switch zone and find it again.

Yes - very DJ like, but them I am an ex-DJ :slight_smile:

And when selecting from the History list, please invert the order of play…

I may be missing something here but cant this already be done by right clicking in the history/queue and selecting tracks then Add To Playlist from the hamburger menu?

Yes it can. I created a Side 1, Track 1 playlist from the queue just the other day.

We’ve been able to create a Playlist from the History list since at least January 2017. That’s when I first tried it and found that it creates a Playlist that is backwards in play order. You can imagine how this would sound if you created a playlist from the history of Beethoven’s 9th? :disappointed_relieved:

Playlists are created in correct order now.

Not on my system they aren’t - still in reverse order…

All I want then is push track playing in this zone (where this zone is most likely to be a private iPhone zone in my case) to another zone’s queue - in my case the main hifi zone :slight_smile:

Er, isn’t this what the Transfer Zone function does?

Edit: ah - I think I see what you’re getting at; the Transfer Zone command transfers the whole queue. You want to just take the currently playing item and place it (somewhere?) in another zone’s queue?

What’s wrong with that? The last track played was “Personal” and the last track in the playlist is “Personal”. Am I missing something here?

Yes, I’m afraid you are missing something. Look at the dates of the History list - the topmost entry is the most recent, then it works backwards in time. So if you create the playlist from it, everything in the playlist is in reverse order…

Well, I did check this earlier and here are my screenshots. I queued three tracks and they were played in the following order:

• False Bride
  • A Good Place
  • Angel of Harlem

The next image shows previously queued items and the last the playlist. They are in the same order.

Also, if I look at the queue history, entries above to the Upcoming line have the most recent nearest the line.

Martin, I’m not talking about creating a Playlist from the Queue, but from the History…

I accept that these days, with the non-destructive queue, it’s best to use that to create Playlists. I’m still trapped in a time when items from the Queue disappeared once played, and only the History list could be used to create Playlists retrospectively. However, the lightbulb has now come on, so thank you for that… :grinning:

Doh! It’s been a long day. I should have spotted that. And yes, you’re right in that regard. :smile:

It actually raises the question: what purpose does the History list now serve? Perhaps it’s an amalgamated list of all tracks played in all zones, but if so, it might be useful to include the zone used to play the track in the list?

I didn’t realise you could create a playlist from combined history and queue - its seems you can - very nice!

I’m not sure what you mean with the order, I just select a bunch of tracks both from history and from the queue ahead and the playlist had them all in the play order.

OK - all I want now is to push the track playing in a private zone (so I can preview it there) to the add next or add queue of a chosen zone and Ill be happy :slight_smile:

Perhaps this already kind of works if you start a playlist playing in a zone and send tracks to the playlist…