What about Roon to go?

If they could bypass system resampling I would definitely use Plexamp more, but they don’t it’s not bitperfect or DAC aware. Tried in on my dap and it’s all resampled much like Roon Android does.

never played with Plex before, did today, 2 things Roon should pick up the pace having a FreeNAS jail and an option as this Plexamp to stream remotely Your files without a VPN implementation.

1 Like

I use the Qobuz application when I am on the go. It works fairly well, and I can download to phone if I do not want to stream.

1 Like

Plexamp has made huge progress over the last few months and this week’s update is huge, bringing Chromecast and Sonos support (though Sonos not working for me).
I would like a Roon to go but I am happy with using both and not making it look as hard as Darko did. But I felt he gave Plexamp a good showing

Mike

2 Likes

I added Tidal content to my Plex music library, it was then both viewable and playable in Plexamp. Not as complete a solution, but a workaround of sorts.

Yes I have mine set the same. Hopefully they continue to develop it and it will be a really good solution

Mike

I always wanted a “Roon to go” solution, but given the current SARS-Cov-2 situation, I don’t really need it in the foreseeable future :slightly_frowning_face:. On the bright side, I’m getting a lot more use out of Roon@Home :+1:.

If Roon Labs watches Darko’s clip (Which I am sure many will), I just wonder if they will notice the same thing I noticed when I watched it, before I read this thread.

Around 8:40 into the clip, John is talking about how PlexAmp allows him to have his “own streaming service,” and just at that point in the video production, his macbook screen shows a transition from a very clear, clean and crisp PLEX logo, to a blurred out version of the Roon logo.

Subtle hint from Mr. Darko that he doesn’t see Roon moving forward with some form of mobile option?!?! He’s been a fan, supporter and promoter of Roon for many years, so who knows.

Pure speculation from my perspective, but I found it interesting none-the-less. Actually did a double take when I watched it, rewinded a bit, just to see if I was imagining it. Maybe just pure coincidence, or maybe done on purpose to show the review was for Plex, and not for Roon?

I enjoy John’s perspective and style, so I am not trying to dog him.

It’s a big toothy gaping hole in Roon’s functionality. Been using Plexamp for the past few days and realizing MY music collection of rips and downloads is the collection I want to listen to. BUT - when I became a Roonite I got lazy and let Roon do all my tagging. So - now a bunch of my newer rips aren’t tagged well for Plexamp. I need Roon’s tagging with Plexamps ease of mobile use. C’mon Roon, Go mobile!

3 Likes

The problem for John is that as he dissed the crap out of DAP players - creating a series espousing their death basically, he never looks to an easy solution with anything ‘on the go’.

Either this video was a paid promo for Plex or he’s never heard of an SD card, cloud storage, or any other fairly easy solution.

This is definitely a weakness of Roon & likely a dealbreaker for many potential users.

I think it was Darko’s ploy to push Roon into making remote access a thing finally. He digs Roon like we all do. I do iTunes Match outside of my network. Works fine. Problem is I have one hard drive with my FLAC and high res files and the other holds the same files but ALAC or MP3 versions. If Roon goes mobile I will have an all in one package.

He addresses this in the video. Basically he says his approach is more convenient. As someone with an IMac and android phone I agree as trying to transfer files to my phone is a pain the proverbial. Maybe that is to do with the age of my mac or the particular phone I have or just my own stupidity but whatever the reason I can’t get it to work.

Hmmmm…your scenario is most unusual and I suspect more of an outlier than the audience he purported to be appealing to. I believe his solution is less convenient for the masses, who already happily use alternative methods.

Notwithstanding, great you’ve found a solution for your needs. :sunglasses:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Of course its great to hear many different opinions and case scenarios.

I Agree
I would love to have this!!!
ROON do your best. Make the ROON expierence portable.

Yep agree
I fixed my music library (lot of own recordings) tags in Roon, but when i use another player, al my tags aren’t available.
Please ROON, go for ROON ON THE GO

I thought I wasn’t that bothered but have been thinking. In the house I use Room to listen to what’s effectively a single playlist that’s transferred from endpoint to endpoint. The thread’s broken the moment I leave the house. A bit of mobile headphone DSP wouldn’t go amiss either.

I have been a Roon user for only a month or so and so far love it. But I don’t think I will be renewing my subscription once it’s due next year. I have no local media, I stream everything through Qobuz and it’s a pain to have to create favourites, playlists etc in both Roon and then the Qobuz app when I go mobile.

If Roon had the a mobile function then it would be the perfect package for me and I would gladly renew my subscription when it’s due

1 Like

I have been using JRiver for years to stream my archive in HD FLAC to my Samsung Android phone. You can use the Jriver Remote or now discontinued EOS app to control your whole archive. You can also use DSP functionality or downsample if bandwidth is a concern. For me I’m an AT&T unlimited data user. You can even ramp it up by adding a USB C adapter to add an Audio Audioquest Red or the like DAC as I do in my car or while on the train listening with headphones. You can also share library key and password with your friends so they can enjoy your archive on the go or at home. Another bonus is it does the same with your video archive. License is fairly priced as well. No reason not to have the best if both worlds. Roon at home, JRiver for everywhere else. The only thing it doesn’t do on the go is my Tidal, but for that I always have their free app.

That’s the point of this whole thread. Plexamp (with a Plex server at home) streams music (lossless if you’d like) to your mobile without hassling with a vpn or other hacked solution. We want Roon on the go. History/recently added/playlists would travel with you - without using a completely different piece of software.

5 Likes

If you have a very large collection then this is generally outside of the remit of a DAP, no SD card will hold a large library. mine wont hold mine. But then on the other hand neither will a phone, but having the option to see all your library anywhere, stream it lossless or compressed depending on your location and download ones you want as you need them much more appealing than a DAP.