What are these check marks and how do I remove them?

See the screenshot. What are these random check marks next to the song title? How do I uncheck these songs? The check mark button, as far as I can tell does nothing.

Please advise.

These are the album picks (best tracks), and determined by the reviewer. You may edit the track to remove them.

If you select the check mark that you have pointed to (in your screen print) with ‘?’ and click ‘Play Now’ or any other options associated with that button, then only those tracks that have a check mark will be added to the queue.

It’s a quick way to play the best tracks, according to reviews, of the album.

FWIW.

Like the others have said:

If you don’t use them as a selection option, they can be ignored or removed. They can be useful on tracks when wanting to have a quick check of an artist as they usually are applied to the best known songs.

On albums they exist too and signify particularly well reviewed or seminal albums. I often edit them and use them for what’s seminal in my view, as an additional semantic category in addition to ratings and hearts. E.g., albums that are historically important, regardless of how high I rate them (which is what I use stars for). Or if an artist has a lot of releases, like Dylan, I mark out the most important ones with the pick (as the default picks often do anyway.)

Picks are an additional option in Focus, so this can be used to add this conditions to queries