What are you doing in HQP with MQA files?

48khz MQA is not playing back for me either in HQP but will in Roon

I cannot get HQP to play anything now. I set Roon to downsample 48 to 44.1 and left everything else off. It played several songs and then stopped. Nothing plays back now. I have no idea what happened. Turning MQA decoding off didn’t help. Roon plays perfectly. I will reboot and see what happens

Do you have music again Robin ?

I got stuck last night playing to a Dragonfly connected to my iPad (no HQP involved), but rebooting everything fixed it.

I have rebooted everything and will try this evening. I kept stopping playback and then totally quit for some reason. I tried to bring up the log but it never opened it up. I thought about rebooting my modem to make sure it isn’t a network thing. I will let you know. Thank you @andybob

1 Like

As indicated by others, select “44.1k x512” as bitrate limit in HQPlayer settings, and check that you don’t have “auto rate family” checked. Some Holo Spring setups don’t work at 48k x512 rate, mine does with the version of internal USB interface I have…

Note that you probably need to use -2s filter variants for such conversions at least, because otherwise it gets really heavy (with long initialization time).

It is better to let HQPlayer convert 48 -> 44.1k x512 directly instead of creating intermediate lower rate version in Roon. This avoids any intermediate extra conversions.

2 Likes

Do not do this, instead instruct HQPlayer to upsample to 44.1k base rates. I have Roon’s DSP engine disabled for HQPlayer endpoints.

2 Likes

Ok @jussi_laako. I am running embedded on a STi7. How can I tell what the 44.1 based rates are?

Hi Robin, I’m not Jussi of course but a few posts I mentioned ~22.6MHz (DSD512) and ~24.5MHz (DSD512x48)

In the Config page, choose the ~22.6MHz (million hertz) sample rate under ‘Rate limit’

Per the attached, the exact sample rate in HQP Config is 22,579,200

This will let HQP convert all 48k based sample rates to 512x44.1k

1 Like

The real problem here is that most combinations I try sound good! Based on absolutely nothing but my ears I I feel there is great synergy between the first unfold and HQPlayer upsampling. Kudos to all.

1 Like

Under advanced you have the MQA Core decoder enabled?

That is correct

Feeling a little persecuted lately.

Here are my settings, but MQA 96 variants will not play.

Am I doing something obviously stupid here?

This is with SU1 in the mix, it works direct to Holo via USB.

.sjb

Hi SJB,

The minring filters are not poly-sinc meaning that they cannot output a 44.1k family output from a 48k family source (in this case the MQA 96k stream from Roon). If you check the Auto rate Family checkbox then HQP will adjust the output family to match the source family.

My Holo Audio Spring has problems with 48 x 512, so I generally stick to the poly-sinc filters.

Holo Audio uses Thesycon’s ASIO driver which doesn’t expose 48k-base DSD rates, even if DAC would support it (like iFi DACs for example). So if you use a filter that can do only simple integer conversion ratios, 48k-base sampling rates won’t play…

2 Likes

Thanks @andybob and @jussi_laako, issue with MQA now resolved.

.sjb

1 Like