What are you reading?

For the past 5 minutes: this thread.

Low hanging fruit so I couldn’t resist. :rofl:

@Geoff_Coupe Thanks for the William Gibson mention. I will give it go. Gibson is one of my favorite from the cyber-punk school along with Neal Stephenson.

1 Like

I agree Gibson & Stephenson. Some great stuff from both of them.

@Geoff_Coupe’s post got us to watch the first episode of The Peripheral last night. It’s been a long time since I read the book which I think is a good thing. I liked the first episode - watched it with my wife as well as our 18 and 21 year olds who are home for the break - everyone enjoyed it. Hard to find something we all like so happy to have this for a thing to watch together.

I’m in the middle of this this Tony Angell (Tony Angell - Wikipedia) book. He’s a fascinating character.

Episode 1 taught me the meaning of enucleation - and lays the basis for a good joke in a much later episode… :grinning:

1 Like

Speaking of owls, anyone ever read the masterpiece trilogy, “Gormenghast”?

1 Like

Heard of it but never read it. The Wikipedia page on it makes it look very interesting and I do like owls…added to my list.

If you’re at all interested in owls or corvids, Tony Angell’s works are amazing reads.

Don’t read for the owls. The Tower of Flints is just a small bit in the scope of the first book in the trilogy.

Awesome product of the imagination, although some people hate it. Can’t understand why.

Interesting. I just looked the word up since I only vaguely remembered hearing it during the episode. Now that I know its meaning, I understand why I missed it during the episode. It had to do with one of the members of my family having a sudden and dramatic reaction to what was happening on screen. Now that I understand the word, I’ll pay attention and try to catch whatever that first episode foreshadowed :slight_smile:

This is on my reading list after watching the series.

First, I need to finish The Temporal Void, before a shorter, faster paced read.

Thanks. The Wikipedia article is intriguing and mentions China Miéville as influenced by the series. That’s enough to get me interested. I’m not actually concerned that there won’t be enough owls.

1 Like

But of course…

The BBC made a pretty decent stab, with great actors, at doing the first two books as a TV series back in 2000.

1 Like

Yeah, saw it. It did what it could considering the density of the source material.

I think “Gormenghast” is much more well known on your side of the pond. Amerikans are more LOTR fans.

Starting No. 6 in the series.

3 Likes

Beautiful bound book – its weight matching that of its content perfectly.

1 Like

I picked up Sixteen Horses by Greg Buchanan yesterday. Fast paced after the last tome.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’ve got 5 kids Graeme. Can I help?? :joy::joy:

3 Likes

With the reading material or increasing the size of the dent in the 21yo Glengoyne? :laughing:

(Joint Xmas present from me alongside the LSA whisky set - I’m trying to broaden herself’s whisky horizons. Her “benchmark” Jim Beam White Label bourbon gives me the boak!)

2 Likes

I was going to ask what you were imbibing but didn’t want to seem to be too rude.

Nice drop.

I’m on an enforced layoff now of a few years due to medical issues but do enjoy your contributions to the Whisky Thread. Maybe I should post a couple but feel guilty because I’m not actually drinking them.

Enjoy the book and the smoothness of the nectar.

1 Like

This was my last drink in May 2019. Purchased it in a April from the owner of the hotel in Kirkwall Orkney (it had 1 Shot sold from it) and it accompanied me for
3 weeks on my Road Trip thru Orkney Islands, Scotland and Wales and UK. Bottled in 1979 so was 40 year old then.

2 Likes