What Causes an iPad to Crash?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus Rev. B

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Synology RT2600ac

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PS Audio DirectStream DAC

Controlled by a 5th generation 32GB iPad Air

This is more of a minor annoyance than anything else but and annoyance just the same.

Fairly often while I’m selecting music to play in Roon, my iPad will suddenly crash for no apparent reason. On the bright side, it always reopens to the last page I was viewing when I start it back up again. I use this iPad only to control Roon.

I’m wondering if this is caused by the iPad or by Roon. Is it because I’m not using a top of the line iPad? Is the crash caused by Roon itself? I’m just hoping that someone here can explain what might be causing this.

Haven’t had any problem with mine, yet. It did turn off until I went in to set up in Roon and set it to screen on all the time. Also check the Apple set up to make sure there are no timers set up in there. I have a 10.1” I bought in June. Good luck.

1 Like

How many apps do you have open when this happens?

1 Like

Only two, Roon and my sub’s app.

Maybe I should have just asked if the problem is with my iPad or the Nucleus. :thinking:

Or, maybe your network. My iPad Mini 4 has never crashed that I recall.

1 Like

Hmmmm, that’s another possibility.

Wouldn’t I also be experiencing interruptions in playback if I had network problems?

Maybe. However, if your Roon core is connected by ethernet, it might not have a problem. Your iPad is connected by WIFI and it could have a problem. In this case, once the core is sending music to your end-point, you would not experience playback interrruptions. You can even turn off the iPad and the music will continue to play.

1 Like

I see your point but I never have a problem streaming WiFi to any of my other devices. It’s only my Roon app that suddenly crashes.

I’ve had plenty of iPad app crash events…sadly environments like iPad iPhone Mac pc android etc have so many things running that might or might not conflict or have impacts on other apps like roon it’s hard to blame any one specific combination. Restarting the roon app normally results in no issues and picks up where things left off.

I’m not saying there aren’t issues with roon’s iOS app but it’s hard with so many variables to perhaps put all the blame squarely on roon, or perhaps to be able to pinpoint exactly what the issue is without a significant amount of data dumps at the time of each crash.

1 Like

Hi @NipperDog,

How often does this issue occur? Once a week? Once a day? More/less?
Have you tried to reinstall the Roon app, does that trigger any change in behavior?
Are you doing anything immediately before the crash like accessing a specific tab or artist/album?

1 Like

This occurs several times during each listening session. I’m always just browsing and selecting music when it happens.

No, I haven’t tried reinstalling the Roon app, but I will now that you’ve suggested it.

1 Like

Well Noris, your suggestion certainly seems to have taken care of the problem I was having with my app crashing.

I only wish I had thought of it myself a while back. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @NipperDog,

Happy to hear that the reinstall sorted this issue out!
If you run into any other difficulties with Roon, just let us know!

1 Like