What Chord gear do you have?

The Qutest is an excellent DAC no question about it. I used an IFI PSU to power mine and was very happy with the results. The M-Scaler is what lead me to TT2 or I probably wouldn’t of changed.

3 Likes

Although it’s possible to use the M-Scaler with the Qutest, I doubt there’s many people doing that? I’d imagine that anyone with the budget & inclination to get the Scaler would go the whole hog and pair it with the TT2!

Regardless, I think all Chord DACs are great but they’re at different levels of price-equivalent great :medal_sports:

Qutest as a DAC is already state of the art. Over on Head-Fi forum there are heaps of Qutest/Hugo2 + M-Scaler owners.

When you pair Qutest with M-Scaler you still get the same 1 million taps as if pairing with TT2.

But some reasons for going for TT2 over Qutest would be:

• built-in headphone amp

• remote volume control

• balanced XLR outputs

• powering very efficient speakers directly from TT2…

• the two look nice stacked on top of each other?

If you don’t need any of those reasons, Qutest is great, whether paired with M-Scaler or not.

3 Likes

While I agree with most of what you said, you missed the most important thing. TT2 is a different DAC to Qutest, it isn’t only separated by a digital filter (tap count).

And that for me is the most important reason to take TT2 over Qutest if its an option.

I know both well. What differences are you referring to, specifically? That aren’t covered above.

Don’t fancy the spec debate you have had on other posts today but what I said stands. I will peacefully exit here :slight_smile:

As I listen here in France I have an Optical rendu into Chord M Scaler, Chord TT2 then into Chord Etude amp. It is simply glorious. The amp into my PMC speakers is as detailed and intimate as my Stax 007 Mk2 headphones. It surprises me with its abilities every single day. I also have Hugo2, Qutest and more Mojos than I care to mention.

Hugo 2, and Mojo. Key factors in choosing them were my audition of them and by their reputation for reliability (and Chord’s reputation).

From Mojo to Dave… from the designer:

And I have to repeat something I already mentioned above…

Technically better doesn’t always mean everyone will subjectively like it better.

There’s plenty of subjective personal taste / preferences in this hobby and that’s perfectly fine…

But I personally try not to waste time arguing with the designer about the technical side of things he/she has designed…

What optical cable is that you are using?

.sjb

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Glass fiber can sometimes help get over the TOSlink spec of 96 kHz (the source matters too though).

I can play up to 192 kHz (DoP64 works) with that cable and my miniDSP USBStreamer source.

1 Like

Chord Qutest connected to nucleus+ the to conrad johnson preamp love it had to give up my niam DAC due to connection to Nucleus

Chord Qutest in a SET amp setup that has become my main system. When I was looking for a dac for this setup I was able to do home trials with a total of 5 dacs. The Qutest was the best sounding and within my budget. I’m feeding it from a Roon Rock through a Sonore ultrarendu. I’m powering the Qutest with an iFi nano iUSB3.0 I had.
Regards,
Mario

Chord Hugo 2 and Mojo with NUC Roon core both sound great but H2 for more details and filter.

I have a Chord Hugo 2 which I use it outside with an AstellnKern AK 70 MkII (as a source).

I am eagerly waiting for the Hugo 2 (poly)to have a more compact set for my iems.

Frankly speaking Hugo 2 has been the best investment I have done for my on-the-go system.

1 Like

Hugo2 and Mojo/Poly, both for headphone use. Hugo2 when I’m in my easy chair, Mojo/Poly when I am working or moving about the house. Mojo/Poly is a bit too heavy and clumsy to use as a true portable device plus it sometimes suffers from interference from smartphones nearby. Took some time to get that out of the way.

2017 Chord Mojo - looked for something to replace my previous USB based DAC. Loved that this DAC had multiple outputs and more power with a cleaner chipset as well.

2018 Chord Mojo/Poly - Wanted the Poly to add to my Mojo although the first available version only came as a package, so now I have an extra Mojo. :slight_smile:

Aside from the initial “how the heck do you configure your Poly” which has since been addressed, this has been a painless transition from previous USB DACs to something which now cuts the cord and drives my Sennheisers and Shure SE846.

I don’t have anything power hungry for the Chord units to drive, although I have certainly not been dissapointed with them. Using them for my Roon Setup (can be laggy depending on DSD density), Spotify and Qobuz very easily.

Cheers,

Hugo TT2 & M-Scaler Combo. TT2 is a great dac/ headphone amp in itself but the M-Scaler takes it up a notch. Beats the DAVE imho.

1 Like

Got a Hugo 2 after recommendation by a friend.
So impressed I got a TT2 + M-Scaler.
Both used for headphones.

2 Likes

Mojo (since late 2015), and have used it on and off since then. It still impresses with it’s sound quality, compared to some very nice DACs. I would love to hear the TT2/Mscaler combo at some point.