What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

Old vs New? Guess the price of the DAC?

Put it this way this ALL adds up to less than £100…

Well I certainly didn’t last long. I ordered my Resonessence Invicta Mirus Pro yesterday.

:grin:

3 Likes

MacMini i7 4core>MicroRendu>Rotel RDD-1580 (No DSD, hqplayer)

Antipodes audio DSGT> audio quest diamond USB> chord TT> double helix cables Chaperone 3 XLR> GSX MK2> double helix cables prion 4 > hd800S thinking about adding susvara if my home test goes well.

How are those Hypex Ncore monoblocs? I’ve got a Niles Audio power amp that uses their ucd180 modules. Absolutely love it. Ncore will probably be the next step…

PS Audio Directstream Junior via my LAN from a Mac Mini (A1283, 2GHz Core2Duo, 8GB RAM, OSX10.11) running Roon
Network:
The Mac Mini is in a different room from my hifi and is wired through two network switches (one in the Mac Mini’s room and one near the hifi) to the Directstream Junior

1 Like

The Ncore amps are the best I’ve had/heard (to my ears and in my system). I collect and restore
audio and have had many, many amps and receivers through here. The Hypex have become my reference power amps: They provide all the detail, soundstage, air, correct timbre, along with other audio descriptors I can think of. Their control of bass is incredible.
I’ve read that the designer stated that he could have made them sound like pretty much any other amplifier, but chose to make them as neutral as possible. To me, his voicing is spot on.

1 Like

Metrum Musette > Rogue Cronus Magnum II > Magnepan 0.7’s

Robert,

$6K for headphones…really??? Wow!

Well its susvara if the test on my equipment goes well, or lcd4, or just stay status quo with la900, fully modified th900 by lawton and my hd800S. Im looking for a super accurate hose sound that is on the intimate side and slight warmth. good extension. my la900 covers the bass club live marshall stack sound, hd800S the super wide accurate stage. so we shall see.

whoops thats house sound

I thought that’s what you meant! I really love my HD-800S with my Hydra Z between my Mac Mini and my Yggy! $6K for Headphones…IMHO is way ridiculous!!!

it would be great to test all three at the same time…6 g 4g and whats 800s in the usa 1400 ?
im toronto, maybe do nothing. those prices the bar is set high, but I’m way down the rabbit hole as it is, whats a bit deeper…

They are $1600-$1700 depending on where you buy them…I listened to the LCD 4’s and their weight completely turned me off as they are so heavy that just looking down caused them to slide forward on my head…

Rabbit Hole …indeed…!

I’m using a Chord Mojo DAC with an Auralic Aries Femto in the Living Room. In the bedroom, I’m using a Chord Hugo DAC with a Sonore microRendu (LPS-1). Sometimes, I add an Audioquest DragonFly Red DAC to listen to MQA on Roon Tidal.

Sounds great. The Chord Mojo DAC/Auralic Areis Femto sounds really good with Senn HD 800 S cans.

1 Like

I persist in thinking that speakers and headphones, and DSP, are far more important for the sound than electronics, digital or analog. So I think $6k cans make more sense than a $4,000 PSAudio DAC.

And depending on your family situation and housing and lifestyle, maybe more than $6k speakers, let alone $60k ones.

So yay, go for it, @Robert_Leavitt!

2 Likes

the weight ill find out about shame, susvara was 450 g but felt as light as hd800S

$6K for cans? Those must be really superb…

glad there are others thinking same, the fact isle believe in multiple speaker systems for our head, so neutralizes some what.

well they did sound good but it was a prototype, that sucks, on non reference gear, that sucked, wit chinese tunes, so i plugged in my iPhone 7 as a player and it still sounded ok to good. so until i check it out on my gear final verdict reserved