What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

I feel like the poor relation :joy:

Most of the kit mentioned isn’t even available in South Africa

I have a i7 desktop running the core then Ethernet to a Cambridge Audio CXN on Airplay ( for the time being), then via AudioLab M-DAC acting really as a headphone amp to Sennheiser HD 800. I am still sorting stuff out after converting to Roon proper.

For mobile AudioQuest Dragonfly Red, via Bose QC 25 running with a Apple Camera Kit on an iPad Mini.

Mike

• FiiO Alpen E17
  • Meridian Explorer²
  • OPPO BDP-105EU
  • Hegel HD25
  • Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital
  • Bluesound Node 2 (x 2)
  • Bluesound Pulse Mini
  • Bluesound Pulse Flex (x 2)

Chord Dave

2 Likes

Win 10 PC running Roon core, connected to a Bluesound Vault 2, outputting to a pair of Focal CMS65 monitors.

Main System: Logitech Transporter–>Icon Audio ST40–>Focal 2018
System 2: Bluesound Node 2–>Lyngdorf TDAI 2170–>Dynaudio Special 40
Headphones: Squeezebox Touch–>USB–>Schiit Jotunheim–>Beyerdynamic DT880

The Obelisks are used as a traditional speaker with a sweet spot as the woofer is forward firing but it is a huge sweet spot as opposed to the tiny move your head and you’ll miss it of some. You can also wander around the room and retain a soundstage and image.
They need to be away from rear walls as they have a passive radiator at the back. But as they come on castors moving them to where you want them is very easy.

1 Like

Thinking about upgrading my IQaudiO Pi-Dac+ with a Chord 2Qute. I’ll buy, try and return if I don’t think the upgrade is worth the money. The IQaudiO holds its own with £500 DACs I’ve auditioned, so I think I need to spend a little more on an upgrade.

Any thoughts?

I’m test driving a Yggdrasil w/Analog 2 right now. Had to hear what all the Schiit was about.

I’ve never heard the first analog board so don’t ask. :thinking:

I’m using NAD M51

I’ve got a Meridian 218. Works great with my legacy Meridian HT processor plugged into its digital input, a turntable into its analog input and Roon via a rock nuc into its network connection. Can control it with the G68, msr or iPhone/ pod. Analog out to mono amps. Sounds great with old Ruark floor standers.

Also have a Meridian director and a couple explorer2’s

Thanks to this forum I am looking to grab a pro-ject pre box S2 to have a play with dsd

1 Like

I’m using an M2Tech Young and I have two Pi with IQAudio Dac+ hats. There is very little difference. They both sound great.

The IQs are a bit more laid back but I could live with either. RRP for the Young is UKP 1000, for the DAC+ it’s UKP 30 :open_mouth:

Give it 30 days of break-in…then she starts to sing! Gonna get the Analog2 boards though…

Cheers!

24/7 Roon Radio.

i7 NUC running ROCK

End points:
Meridian Explorer2 DAC into Yamaha RX-A3060 AV Amp in PURE DIRECT mode
Speakers = B&W 702

Logitech Transporter (DAC) again into the Yamaha
HDMI into the Yamaha amp (Yamaha DAC)

Meridian Explorer2 DAC to the wife’s B&W PX headphones

PC USB attached MM-1 speakers (own DAC)
2 x Logitech Boom Boxes (own DAC) (great sound with Roon)
1 x Logitech Touch DAC

1 Like

Currently using Win10, i7-7700k, Roon, Chord 2qute, NAD326BEE(as pre), Roksan Caspian, Spendor A5r’s, Martin Logan Dynamo300 sub. (Previous Gustard x20u, iFi iDSD Micro- iUSB - TeraDak (LPSU), iFi Nano, Woo Audio WDS1, and the one that got me started on this madness, the Cambridge Audio DacMagic).

Well, I’ve taken the plunge and bought a Chord Electronics 2Qute at a very reasonable price. And, I like what I hear!

My outgoing IQaudiO DAC+ is excellent, and it’s testament to this little board that the difference isn’t great*. But, the 2Qute is a notable improvement: certainly greater detail and more “energy”. The DAC+ moves to another zone. My Hi-Fi room now consists of:

Roon Server -> Raspberry Pi 3 (Ropieee) -> 2Qute -> Arcam A19 -> Dali Zensor 7s (vinyl playback, for those who may be interested, Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Carbon UKX)

Other zones served by Raspberry Pi 3 (Ropieee) plus IQAudio DAC+/ Pi-DigiAMP+ (Monitor Audio CT165-T2 ceiling speaker)

I now need to decide if I buy another Pi for the 2Qute, so I can reuse the DAC+, or buy a CuBox-i. Any thoughts?

*Edit: Actually, after 24 hours I’m tempted to retract that statement. The DAC+ is excellent and it certainly holds its own with the likes of the Bluesound range I auditioned (and own), but listening to albums such as Tracy Chapman, Love Over Gold, Tigerlily, Ágætis byrjun, Elephant … through the 2Qute is a joy. I neither imagined nor expected such a marked improvement.

I’m rather fond of my Cuboxes: they’re quite a bit faster than the Pi and networking+USB is much better. Support is a bit off compared to the expansive Raspberry ecosystem, but I’m running Armbian on them without major problems. At the moment I’m running a i4Pro over WiFi to my headphone amp – it yet has to hiccup (over two days and many hours of play time).

Before posting, can you please spare a thought for those who had just convinced themselves that their Allo DAC is fine and the 2qute isn’t needed. Sob… :grin::ear:t2::ear:t2:

Audio - MacMini -> dCS Network Bridge -> Berkeley Ref. 2 -> Spectral 30SV Pre -> Spectral 400 monoblocks -> Wilson Alexia 2
Video - microRendu -> Audio Alchemy DDP-1 -> Anthem D2V -> Theta Intrepid -> Revel Salon
Computer - iMac -> LH Labs Geek Out -> Logitech desktop/sub

Later this week I’ll receive a Nucleus from Danny, and in future replace the Audio Alchemy w. a Yggdrasil. The Audio Alchemy will replace the Geek Out, and will be fed with a currently idle microRendu. The “liberated” MacMini will go back to more pedestrian duties.

2 Likes

Thanks, Rene. I’ve decided to stick with the RPi for now, but bought an Allo DigiOne SPDIF hat. Should arrive sometime this week. I gave Ropieee a go and I’m impressed.

1 Like