What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

I use an Antipodes EX both as Roon Core and Roon Ready endpoint, and I use the DAC inside the Antipodes EX at the moment. Sounds great BTW. One day I will add a high end DAC, but I don’t no which… (My evaluation list is still too long: Chord, PS Audio, T+A, Naim, dCS, Auralic, Lindemann, … )

Check out the Lindemann Limetree Network. Small, DSD256 via Network, Roon Ready, Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer… pretty good app (IOS, Android).

Hi there, thanks for the recommendation. Funnily enough, shortly after my post above, I stumbled upon the Limetree Network and had to pinch myself as it seems to be exactly what I was asking for!

I’m hoping to get one on loan soon, but I’m pretty sure it could be a great solution for me. I can hide the Nucleus (w/2TB SSD) behind my listening chair next to the router and have just the discreet Limetree on the rack for digital hardware.

1 Like

Hehe, considering how much the device costs I would hope that would be the case.

Jokes aside, I would like to know the best settings to use on Roon itself for the SP1000

Backend:
Roon Server on Synology 916+ (8GB RAM) for local files and Qobuz Studio.

Path:
Roon Server <–Ethernet–> Teac NT-505 unbalanced analog out > Denon AVR-4310CI

Speakers:
MartinLogan ESL-X mains + SVS SB-13 Ultra sealed subwoofer on isolation feet

Latest in, a Sabre ES9038Q2M HAT for Raspberry Pi:

Does PCM384/DSD64 with Ropieee and PCM192/DSD64 with DietPi
The resolutions cover my needs, but not necessarily my want’s! :wink:
(The HAT can take PCM384/DSD128)

Whatever, the thingy sounds like a $1000! The HAT and Pi is powered via the HATs regulators and whatever makes this thing tick it does so very well!
Avaliable from eBay at around $65!

1 Like

What’s it called?

Denon PMA-2500NE is an amplifier with DAC. Price 2500 Euro. Model 2016.

1 Like

1 Like

It’s this one

The Audiophonics one that @seagull refers might be similar?

The Audiophonics one is likely better. Twice the price too. :slight_smile:

On the road I use my PC with a Chord Hugo TT2 and Focal Utopia

At home I have a Esoteric N01

Have you compared them? :slight_smile:

Merging Nadac DAC 8 channel (only use two)

2 Likes

Not directly. I have an earlier version of the Audiophonics HAT, based on the ES9023P chip which sounds very good - some say better than the newer ES9038Q2M chip. I also have a different version of the SMPCB board that I have played with a bit as well, It doesn’t sound as good to my ears, but then I don’t use that particular DAC (SMPCB) everyday. Also, I think the Audiophonics build-quality better. YMMV

Thanks for your response Richard!
My own experience differs, i have had the RaspDAC LTE with Audiophonics Sabre DAC ES9023 v3 in the original chassi. It has always sounded good, but in no way spectacular.
I also have a chinese ES9023 based DAC, amazingly simple but sounding almost as nice, at a fifth of the cost. (Comparing the HATs)
I also have a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro as well as a chinese Pifi DiGi where the latter walks all over the Hifiberry. Despite its much lower cost.

I still think we can agree that the ways to achieve very nice sounds have become way cheaper in the last few years! :slight_smile:

Bryston BDA3 ($3795) with DH Labs Mirage USB cable ($280). Don’t use HQPlayer.

Just got a Benchmark DAC3 B, the version without headphone amp and volume control. $1,700.

Because I got a separate headphone amp, the Benchmark HPA4, which is $3,000; they play well together. Discussion:

I started messing around with SBCs a couple years ago, and then last year discovered roon and Ropieee. That was a big mistake! They’ve become part of my electronics hobby now. I have a collection of DAC HATs and a couple Topping standalone DACs. A couple Chinese DIY DACs thrown in there too. The Topping D50 sounds very nice indeed, but to be honest, it’s real hard - if not impossible to - hear any measurable audible difference between most of these DACs. My hearings is getting older. A favorite HAT of mine is the TerraBerry DAC 2. I bought it a couple years ago and really like the sound. Rich and smooth. It uses the AK4490EQ chip.

I agree that these DACs all improve the enjoyment of music, and the dynamics are incredible - IMO. Anyway, it’s all fun and makes the music a joy to listen to.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the DAC 3 is a very nice sounding DAC. Haven’t heard it myself. I’d be interested in hearing your listening impressions of it down the road.