What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

the weight ill find out about shame, susvara was 450 g but felt as light as hd800S

$6K for cans? Those must be really superb…

glad there are others thinking same, the fact isle believe in multiple speaker systems for our head, so neutralizes some what.

well they did sound good but it was a prototype, that sucks, on non reference gear, that sucked, wit chinese tunes, so i plugged in my iPhone 7 as a player and it still sounded ok to good. so until i check it out on my gear final verdict reserved

schiit gungnir pre multibit/audioquest dragonfly red/meridian explorer 2

Using 2 Raspberry Pie’s.
Both powered by RoPieee.
Roon Server running on a HP MicroServer Gen 7.
Endpoints:

1. RPi 3 + Meridian Exlorer² DAC
  2. RPi 3 + Allo Boss DAC + Volt AMP
  3. Windows 10 PC’s + Meridian Exlorer² DAC
1 Like

Hi,

Do you use this on top of pc or Mac?
I’ve used pc for long time and now eager to move to Mac .
I installed the Weiss firewire io driver.
But when playing from roon, getting:
Source 24/96 -> roon transport -> OS Mixer and not the Weiss firewire io driver.
Do I need to add asio or configure in specific way in order to get the firewire io driver to be last chain in roon playback? I have this working on pc . Cannot understand how to do in Mac . I’m newbie to Mac , but with large os experience- any advise is more than welcomed.

Bob,

Your next move should be to turn your Gungnir into a Gumby…your ears won’t believe the difference…IMO!!

1 Like

Lior,

I use a MAC Mini as well…love the form factor and it’s incredible performance…using MAC’s usually means not having to use any drivers as the MAC usually recognizes the interface you are using straight away. I use a Hydra Z DDC between my MAC Mini and my DAC. I did have to change the MIDI settings to get the MAC to play nice with the DDC…you might also look there…

Hi Lior, I use a Weiss DAC2 with a Windows PC. I am also having problems with Roon in terms of the interface with the DAC.

Depending on the driver used (ASIO or WASAPI), I get various problems with Roon losing control of the device with playback stopping, playback skipping badly, or a combination of these issues. I have not had any feedback from the Roon team about this and I am still unable to listen to music uninterrupted (which is quite annoying since I paid $500 for the software!).

With the problem you mention, is this with a MAC or PC?

Problems with the Weiss DAC drives are best discussed here:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Roon loses control of audio device

@Larry_Megugorac-thanks for the reply since i wrote that i have gone back to using my Gungnir and have to agree it improves everything even listening to MQA ‘masters’ from ROON(but i can’t use it in my car or on a plane like i can with AQDF/RED)-that said trying to convince my CFO who monitors my credit card purchases(especially NUB cigars) to purchase/upgrade any of my ‘toys’ is one long struggle but i am going to do it by hook or crook! bobbmd

1 Like

Get that Gungnir upgrade…The Gumby really rocks nice.

1 Like

Upgrade from Bluesound Node 2 - - - - > AURALIC Altair

Clarity, sound stage, brilliance… Increased
Happiness… Increased

1 Like

You are most welcome! My comment would be that Multi-bit DACs sound superior to me over Delta Sigma DAC’s I have heard…even in my own system…

Bifrost Multibit being delivered today. I will let it warm up for 3-4 days before actual use. Looking forward to hearing the multibit difference!

Optical (Glass or Plastic) ? Really. And why -Optical ?

In any case, your Hugo T.T. sounds most interesting. Do you have it now, and how is it performing ?

pj

gungnir premultibit/audioquest dragon fly red/ meridian explorer2 bobbmd

Bobmd,

Get that Gungnir modified to a Gumby…you’ll be blown away at the difference!! While you are at it get the GEN 5 USB input board another advance in SQ!!

2 Likes