What determines if end points can be linked together as grouped zones?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows10/i7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Google WiFi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Rasberry Pi with Ropiee and Hifiberry DAC Pro

Description Of Issue
I’ve read the knowledge base and searched this forum with am still not positive on this. What determines if end points can be linked together? The OS, SBC or DAC?

For example, can a RPI with Ropieee and Hifiberry DAC be linked with a RPI with DietPi running a Allo Piano?

Or what about another SBC running the same OS and DAC?

Thanks

You can group zones of similar type, e.g.

• RAAT
  • Squeezebox
  • AirPlay

So, you can group any Roon Ready devices, Roon running on MacOS, iOS, Windows and Android, and Roon Bridge running on MacOS, Windows and Linux, i.e. your RPis with DAC hats.

So that sounds like a yes to my example since they are all using RAAT, just the SBC or OS or DAC may be different.

I assume SBC means Squeezebox Classic. If so, this is not a RAAT device so can’t be grouped with RAAT devices, i.e. your Raspberry Pi running Roon Bridge. You can group output from your Windows machine running Roon (or Roon Server) with the RPis.

No sorry, SBC is the Raspberry Pi or any other single board computer. So say an Allo Sparky SBC running DietPi and a Piano DAC grouped with Raspberry Pi with Rupieee and Hifiberry DAC.

In that case you can group those zones running Roon Bridge.

The Roon KB page on Zones says the following:

Zone Grouping

Roon supports Zone Grouping , or synchronizing audio playback in several zones within your house.

Zones can only be grouped with other zones of the same type , meaning Squeezebox zones cannot be grouped with RAAT zones, Meridian zones can’t be grouped with Airplay zones, etc.

Not all technologies support grouping, but the most commonly used options do. These are the types of zones within which grouping is possible:

• RAAT Zones
  • Roon Ready devices
  • Roon outputs on OSX, Windows, and Android
  • Roon Bridge outputs on OSX, Windows, and Linux
  • Squeezebox zones
  • Meridian zones
  • Airplay zones
  • Sonos zones
  • Chromecast zones

Note that Chromecast zones are not grouped using Roon, but grouped using the Google Home app. See the Knowledge Base article on Chromecast for more information.

For completeness mention should probably also be made of the KEF Wireless Speaker Zone which is a bespoke solution that cannot be grouped with any other Zone, including other KEF Zones.

I am checking whether iOS outputs can be added to the Roon outputs category.

After checking with Brian, the KB can be updated here and I’ll do that shortly.

iOS can be added to Roon outputs

RAAT Zones is a parent category that includes Roon Ready devices, Roon outputs, Roon Remote outputs and Roon Bridge outputs, all of which can be intergrouped.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you

1 Like