What do i need to just use Roon with streaming? Budget

Is your phone near your laptop? My phone interferes with my mojo/poly and other things. I think it may be bluetooth or Wi-fi searching. It did it to my devialet phono stage if you didn’t turn it off for that.

Yes, you can.

But, for your setup the Tidal app on your phone is probably all you need.

2 Likes

Hey! Seems i can get a Topping L30 amp for 80 usd. Thats half price of new in Norway.

It is a new L30 or second hand? Just be aware that there are potential problems with earlier models of the L30. You want to avoid anything with a s/n that starts with 2011 or less. 2012 onwards are fine.

Please see the following post (taken from Audio Science Review) for further information.

Exactly! Why do you think there would be advantages using Roon on top of Tidal if all you want is play music through one pair of headphones? Usually Roon is used for multi-room setups, that’s where it shines (when it works)
Roon’s discovery only “discovers” music that is already in your library. I got fooled too…
The new releases for you feature in Roon exists in Tidal as well and as far as I can see Tidal recommends more and better music for me.
I think the only thing Roon has over Tidal is the album reviews and artist bios, where they exist… depending on what sort of music you listen to, you may be disappointed here as well.
So if you just want to listen through headphones and you have this phone, Roon is adding quite a lot of complexity for little reward compared to simply using Tidal on your phone.

Using Tidal on an android with a dac(inboard or USB) is a litle problematic cause of the OS mixer. It upscales everything to 48 khz. Therefore we need to use UAPP to bypass the OS mixer. here is the problem. The sound is really good, but the discovery function is non existent. Roons discovery function is superb in comparison!

So for me its a benefit to use Roon. i gladly pay around 10 USD per month for that function. And then we have Upscaling to HQplayer and alot of other features for headphones/iem users. So Roon is also very good for “headfier`s”.

But i can see that if Spotify HIFI is lossless,i will prob unsubribe from Tidal, Qobuz and Roon.

I understand - could you please explain how you use discovery, or what do you mean by Roon discovery? Maybe you mean the radio - that it keeps playing music similar to what you chose?

It finds similiar artist/albums of what im liking. it find connections between artist etc…
Its kind of a Last.fm built into the streaming service. Much more convenient than to search the Last.fm, all the time for new music.

But its probably a personal thing. For me, who had a subscription at RYM and Last.fm to find similiar or recommended music based of my taste, Roon cost just a little more but are doing a great job!

I value this greatly!

I see, makes sense

Spotify`s algorith is also good, so its gonna be exciting to see how good the HiFi option will be! If spotify are gonna do 24/96, both Tidal and Qobuz should be scared! Tidal through UAPP sounds really good on my V40

@Xekomi Hey. What kind of processor do i need to just upscale to DSD512? no DSP, just upscaling to one zone.can i get away with an Intel NUC NUC7i3BNK?

I tried using a NUC8i7BEH to upsample 44.1k to DSD512 and had nothing but drop outs.

I went with a Mac Mini M1, 8GB RAM 256GB storage for $699. Has been working flawlessly even with adding HQplayer into the mix. Couldn’t be happier!