What do you use to rip?

I use ROCK. I allow Roon to take care of its identity and metadata. Should I ever want to use the files elsewhere I would use something like SongKong to tag them, or if it really matters to you, that can be done upfront. My drive is fitted in my MOCK build together with internal storage so it is all kept compact. Physical Backup is to a USB drive kept safe and to a NAS which also serves DNLA. To be frank, tagging most genres of music is relatively trivial. It only becomes a really big issue with classical and some regional music.

I’d simply use Roon, be sure to make backups and employ something like SongKong if you need to.

1 Like

How are you backing up from Roon to a USB drive if you’re using a ROCK?

Windows as remote, drag and drop. Connecting Ethernet up to the laptop using the same gigabit switch the core is using speeds matters up a lot.

Yeah Makes sense. TBH a decent NAS with the right tools would be able to do a direct copy from the ROCK to a connected USB drive as well. I had planned to use my NAS to “pull” a copy off the USB drive on my ROCK

Fully agree! XLD is great!

+1

1 Like

Just to round this out…

I use Linux as my daily driver, and Python Audio Tools as my ripper. The program “cdda2track” comes with PAT, and rips the CD, checking with AccurateRip along the way. I output compressed FLAC. All tags are present and correct, unless it’s a little local group making their own CDs, in which case I have to enter the metadata manually.

cdda2track -c /dev/cdrom -V quiet -t flac -q 8 -D -d /tmp --format '%(album_name)s/%(track_number)2.2d %(track_name)s.flac'

You mentioned EAC, if you only rip 5-10 CDs a year EAC might just fit your needs. It’s free and accurate and works well on windows 10. If you are just ripping straight redbook CDs it should be all you need.

4 Likes

I’ve ripped thousands of CD’s with dbPoweramp. Like in more than 10 thousand…

dbPoweramp is excellent and fast, but do take some time to set it up the best possible way before you go.

For tagging there’s nothing better out there than SongKong : http://www.jthink.net/songkong/
It has saved me endless hours of editing/fixing/cleaning metadata.
This is tagging software like it should be.

And as you know, the better metadata quality the better Roon experience.

Happy ripping

1 Like

+1 for dBPoweramp

1 Like

Have decided just to use inbuilt roon functionality and let an export sort out the tagging later down the line :slight_smile:
Thanks all

1 Like

It’s what I have switched to, it’s so much easier. I used to use Vortexbox on a VM for many years and it never did a badrip. Roon uses the same software.

If you think that dbpoweramp etc is any more complicated than using iTunes, then I’m afraid you aren’t understanding people’s answers very well. What’s being described to you are methods that get good, accurately tagged &organized files into your collection better than iTunes does with if anything less muss & fuss. I’ve ripped some 12,000 discs into our collection. Itunes was an inferior option. If you only rip 5-10 discs a year the difference probably won’t matter to you. But I think people may have assumed you were working at greater scale. Windows Media Player also rips to flac, is free, and identifies discs accurately.

dbPoweramp. Also used it in batch mode with an ancient Sony CD/DVD carousel. Loading 200 CDs and ripping is a lot easier than doing 200 by hand. Did about 2500 CDs this way.

2 Likes

Well I’ve been trying roon Cd ripping but with no success. One cd was ejected within seconds claiming a successful rip of “null”

The second cd shifted away for over an hour and then roon gave up totally and did nothing.

On to plan B I think

@David_Crosbie1 doesn’t sound like a typical result, so something’s awry…

Are those same cds readable using the same drive connected to another computer? I guess I’m assuming an external drive; if not we’ll have to think harder…

yeah, external USB. One I’ve used for ripping CD’s for years.

I guess it could have suddenly developed a fault. We have a spare HP drive at work that i’ll take home to try.

The other variable is the cds - although you’d be very unlucky to have picked two ‘bad’ disks to test…

I don’t know enough about Linux to know whether it’s relevant, but I guess it’s also conceivable that your drive is not fully compatible with the ROCK OS.

I use a Vortexbox as my Roon core.
It has a built in ripping facility, it usually manages to find the matching meta data but if not I use MP3tag to edit the ripped files manually.

Sorry for stupid question but what error correction does the Roon CD ripper use?

And does it utilise Accuraterip?

Thanks!

From KB

Roon OS uses CD Paranoia to do the actual extraction