What does Roon do? And how do I know that Roon does it?

Hello Svein,

I concur with andybob. While I never argue with perception, I am one of those lifetime licensees (by choice) who started into computer audio in 2011, purchased a brand new system, and ALL the software players available at the time rather than mess around with trials so I could compare software players without the trial ending and then having to remember if that is even possible what one player sounded like compared to another.

I eventually decided that Amarra Symphony was the best of them in so far as the sonic quality. That’s a subjective assessment. Others agree. Other disagree. Some had problems with Amarra Symphony, and some, like myself, had no problems. I was so enthused, I became a beta tester (voluntary) for Amarra Symphony. Over time many of the players improved their SQ, UI/UX/EM. But Amarra Symphony has remained for my sensibilities the best in the SQ category.

Enter roon Labs. Granted there are different models of the world and preferences for sound quality, user interface, experience and the consequential enjoyment of music, which is my highest priority. Presently, there is nothing available that offers what roon does overall for the UI/UX/EM and the information about music, artists, composers, and in particular the organization of one’s library. I am at over 6000 albums and growing. No other software server program manages like roon does; and that alone is a reason for me to ignore the trial period (which btw is two weeks for most of us – you may have a different arrangement) and go straight to a lifetime license. Again, my choice.

The remote app recently released is exceptional. Nothing like it in graphical interface and usability. The Zones, being able to install a Remote Client so I can play music in one room and music in another room that is a different album/track.

Soon roonSpeaker will be introduced. I own HQPlayer. I love HQPlayer. I love Amarra Symphony. To date, the SQ for Amarra Symphony is still the best. But roon with HQPlayer will have even greater reach into the conveyance of music enjoyment especially in the arena of down/upsampling and DSD Native play.

So when you write there is nothing in it for you regarding roon and signing on, while I can appreciate you find nothing valuable about roon to keep you as a member, I wonder what your needs that are not met and even surpassed to expand one’s reach, access, use, organization of computer audio at a level not yet surpassed by any other program.

That other programs, i.e., TIDAL HIFI, Dirac Live, Amarra’s AsQ+with iRC (a variation of Dirac Live integrated into Amarra’s programs for impulse response correction) work with roon is yet another dimension and empowerment for roon and a user like myself.

Are you sure, there’s nothing you can’t see any reason to continue when roon’s trial expires? As a contrast frame given the foregoing I have described, I can’t see any reason anyone who loves music would not continue. That is not to dismiss your model of the world and what is worth your time and money. I think I have covered real reasons to enjoy roon and a future with roon’s development which, at times, seems boundless compared to where I started in 2011. Lord knows what the future for roon is. But I am thrilled in the Present.

Good fortune (truly),
Richard

1 Like