What happens if I keep Qobuz and drop Tidal?

I ran some tests myself and IMHO Tidal has better sound quality. I’m keeping both for some time. Tidal’s heavy Rap focus on the Top albums, Top tracks is the only thing that I absolutely don’t like.

1 Like

I dispute this claim. I have both, and in most cases both sound identical when comparing ‘like for like’ 16/44.1 to 16/44.1. If they do sound different, it may be that the stream has been taken from a different master/file provided by the record company, and will have nothing to do per se with the streaming service itself.
I would take the magazine articles with a pinch of salt. They may have their own ‘agendas’ re: Qobuz & Tidal.

2 Likes

No, prety quick

Typical audiophile mag nonsense.

1 Like

I’m trying both as well and so far Tidal has the better selection for music I’ve looked into by far. Some have mentioned the emphasis on Tidal of hip hop and what they seem to be promoting as a negative. I agree that pop promotions are of no interest to me, but that is easy to get beyond. Further, the integration with Roon makes accessing the Tidal catalogue far better. Maybe for the people who are into super hi-res recordings for their own sake regardless of genre or content Qobuz would provide more of that. But Most of those turnout to be uninteresting recordings for my tastes.

I’m not finding the organization of Qobuz particularly compelling either. Certainly not better than Roon and not really a significant contribution. So I’m coming to the opposite conclusion. I’m not going to continue my Qobuz trial due to what appears to be their more limited catalogue.

I converted my Tidal to Qobuz: 117 albums out of 178 = 66% were found, 34% were not available. I am hoping Oobuz will close the gap

I used Soundiz which took only a few minutes to signup and convert. I assume I will never use Soundiz again so I will cancel but it was quick and easy.

I chose Qobuz because:

• Sublime discount on purchases (there will need to be a good trend of new releases of interest to keep this in 2020).
  • Hi Rez FLAC vs MQA (in my comparisons I liked both and found them similar but the purchase and concept of hi-rez flac swung me to Qobuz
  • I like the booklets in Qobuz but not too many albums seem to have them
  • some of the Hi-Rez titles (i.e. new master of Van Halen which is 192 vs different master at 96) are not in Oobuz but HDtracks
  • I liked the mobile app of Tidal better (for car) w/playlists generated for me and easy artist top tracks playlists

This is my 5th streaming service so I need to realize it’s a consumption spend not a collection so I like being able to easily convert and I like that I own most of what I enjoy.

wait till right before your month on Soundiiz is up and try again. You may get more matches.

1 Like

I need some guidance with the conversion from Tidal to Qobuz. Most references to Soundiiz concern conversion of playlists and favorites. What about albums that I have added to my Library in Roon from Tidal that are not tagged as favorites or part of a playlist? How do I convert/preserve these in my library if I plan to cancel Tidal?

@Howada, did you find an answer to this? I’m in the same boat. I don’t favorite anything or use playlists. I don’t even use the Tidal or Qobuz apps. I just add albums via roon.

Hi Thomas, I did the migration using Soudiiz. The application did recognize and convert most of the albums in my Roon library from Tidal source to Qobuz. I was able to run a report to identify albums that didn’t convert because there wasn’t an exact match on Qobuz. I just had to spend a couple hours manually adding these back in. It wasn’t difficult. I’ve been happy with Qobuz.

1 Like

Thank you, @Howada. Looks like I’ve got some weekend plans. ; )

Stay safe!

I used it for moving a whole ton of spotify playlists and liked tracks over to Tidal (I got a little overenthusiastic even, and need to clean that stuff up) and that made it very easy. I will probably also shift as muhc as I can from Tidal to Qobuz with it as well.