What happens when I rename a directory or file that has already been scanned?

Hey guys – there are some known shortcomings here that we’re working on addressing here.

Tracking files as they move around the filesystem, and as they are modified, is a complicated problem. When a file is moved, or modified, or both, and Roon is unable to establish that is the same as a previously existing file, it will import it as if it were completely new.

Additionally, if Roon observes two copies of the file existing at the same time, one of them will be considered “new” and only one of them (sometimes the wrong one) will be attached to your edits. This latter case is the most troublesome–depending on exactly when and how the OS delivers information to Roon about filesystem changes, it’s possible for a file move to be interpreted as creating a second copy of the file and then deleting the old one.

So, editing a directory name should not have an effect on your edits once this issue is resolved, but there’s a lot of complexity here and as a general rule, if you’ve made significant edits in Roon, for now I would avoid moving or renaming files or folders on disc right now.

We’ve designed an improved version of our file tracking scheme that should be much more reliable when dealing with cases like this, and it’s under active development over here. For now I would recommend moving or editing files on disk, then editing the files in Roon. If you do it the other way around, be aware that there are certain cases where Roon can treat the files as new imports.

If you do need to make edits or move files on disk, I would also strongly recommend making a backup of your Roon database beforehand.