What is a Good Portable DAC for Tidal and Qobuz (that supports 24/192 and MQA)

Yep. The USB interface of the Dragonfly tops out at 96 incoming. However, the internal DAC can do much higher. So, the 2nd unfold or rendering of MQA is basically an upsampling to the original resolution rate, which means that the Dragonfly gets 96 (or 88.2) MQA in, and if the MQA information instructs the DAC to upsample the 96 to higher then it will; and then output it.

So in the last screenshot, Roon is doing the first MQA unfold, applying the Crossfeed while keeping the MQA Signaling, sending the 88.2 through the USB to the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly during the MQA rendering is upsampling it to 352.8 and sending that analog out to your headphones.

2 Likes

I’m not sure you are correct. In the last photo, I am sending an MQA 352.8 file from Tidal to Roon. The MQA file is folded down to 44.1 and the Roon software does the first unfold to 88.2. Then, the Dragonfly Cobalt does the remaining unfolds back to the native file size of 352.8.

I can’t guarantee that’s what is going on here, but that is exactly how MQA works.

Well, you are sending a 24/44.1 file to Roon.

That is exactly what I said. Once past the 96k USB bottleneck, the Dragonfly DAC can up-sample and output higher than 96k rates. And the rendering step is not an unfold, it is an Up-sample. Two very different processes.

Again. Not what I said. I was very specific. The 2ndary Rendering Stage, is a filter select and target sample rate up-sample. I said nothing about the unfold. The 2ndary stage is NOT called an unfold, very specifically by MQA themselves, it is a “rendering” stage. There is a reason for the differences in nomenclature.

Hi James,

There are two stages of MQA:

1. Decoding, often referred to as 1st unfold (2x sample rate)
  2. Rendering, often referred to as 2rd unfold (Original sample rate, but limited to what the DAC supports)

The MQA rendering process is upsampling rather than unfolding, but there is a little more going on than just unfolding as it selects a filter that is matched (or paired) to the way that file was MQA encoded.

MQA is a contentious subject and MQA have not published specific details so a lot is unfortunately down to speculation. We have specific forum area for it, so best to read / post over their for more info rather than here … otherwise this topic will devolve into yet another MQA war.

Thanks. It seems that many responses are pointed in a certain direction depending on the person’s view of MQA.

Very true, it is somewhat of a polarised discussion… one I personally stay out of most of the time.

But enough of MQA technicalities, finding you a good DAC is what this topics about :slight_smile:

Thanks Carl. However, it now seems to me my Dragonfly Cobalt is what I need. My next decision will be whether or not to purchase a Nucleus. For now, my Dell XPS 15 is working great running the Roon core. I’ve burned through over 50 gigs of Verizon data while on this trip.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Diana Krall - Turn Up The Quiet (192Khz) : Qobuz (96Khz) vs. Tidal MQA

One more consideration:

Some pieces of music are recorded in different versions and each is only available at one of those resolutions. I am thinking of a specific recording by Kirill Gerstein (“The Gershwin Moment”). Herb Reichert of Stereophile loved the recording at 192, but did not like the recording at 96. Qobuz unaccountably only makes the latter available in the US (apparently Reichert got a bootleg of the 192). Assuming you get a copy of the recording at 192 you would need the appropriate hardware tp get the full benefit. Different performance? Maybe. Different mastering of the same performance? I don’t know, but I curse Reichert for making me want the recording, and Myrios and Qobuz for keeping it from me!!

I think this problem will worsen as the diversity of recording techniques proliferates.

As to hardware: I have an original iFi Micro DSD that I enjoy (even upgrades to MQA capable); just bouyght a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital – real improvement and full scale MQA decoding and rendering. Both are physically small, IfI has battery portability, Project allows separation of power and data inputs with $50 iFi wall wart. Well worth a listen.

Thanks, but I can’t worry about all of that. For now I have both Tidal and Qobuz. I try to put the highest version of a given album from each provider in my library. When using my Oppo with headphones, I’ll listen to the 24/192 from Qobuz if available. If using my Dragonfly with headphones, I’ll listen to the MQA from Tidal. If using my Bose, I’ll listen to either because Bose maxes out at 24/96.

I’ll take a look at the iFi Micro DSD, but probably just stick with what I have and maybe add a Nucleus. Thanks again.

Reichert said he wasn’t struck by the 44.1/16 version; he loved the 192/24 version. He didn’t mention the 96/24 version.

Qobuz does apparently offer the 192/24 version when that item is quoted in pounds (£14.49; I had to do a Google search of “Qobuz Germany” to get a link to Qobuz); but if I log in (ie, a person from the US) to see dollars, the item is not available. The 96/24 version is available on HDTracks and other places (I cannot find any version on Qobuz when I’m logged it).

I second the comments regarding bus-powered DACs. While the Dragonflies and Meridian Explorer2 nominally conform to the 100 mA maximum of the Lightning power interface, I find that they both sound much better when powered by a laptop that can provide up to 500 mA on peaks. It’s especially noticeable in the bass. I would go for something with self-contained battery power and personally consider any of the iFis (nano, micro or xDSD) superior to a Dragonfly or Explorer2 when paired with an iPhone or iPad.

1 Like

It has to do MQA.

I found boh my Dragonfly Red and Cobalt outperfrom the Ifi Nano iDSD BL I also have. Its been relegated to work now. I dont like ifi’s GTO filter at all which it uses for the latest firmware and for getting MQA to play ball with Roon and Linux.

I have a nextdrive spectra, very portable, nice sound, good design.
Cannot compare with other DACs. I mostly use it from an iPhone, without Roon, but in theory it should go up to 32/384. I cannot be sure if the usb bus can handle that rate of data.
What I can say, is that listening on Qobuz the difference between 16/44 and 24/96 is clear. Going up to 24/192, I am not sure I can feel the difference.

My 2 cents…

Cheers,
Francesco

I like the Meridian Explorer 2

I’ve had a Dragonfly Red for years and used to be annoyed by the sample rate “limitation”.
But in the recent years I’ve learned to step back to get a more relaxed perspective on sound quality. Don’t get me wrong, I am very particular about sound reproduction. And last time I had a full MOT my hearing was 10/10.

I’m very intrigued by the idea of MQA. But there are so much more going on in the whole chain between the artist and your ears that the minuscule difference between different high res flavours is probably completely negligible, in my opinion of course. I bet that a few (if anyone) could actually tell the difference in a blind test, not even in an A-B test.

I think the impact of clean power, interference or jitter is a far more interesting topic. Not to mention what speakers/room or headphones does to the sound, which probably are the worst offenders when talking distortion.

Back on the topic - A good red book recording is far more enjoyable anyway than a high res dito where something has gone wrong.

I’d think you’re absolutely fine with your 24/96 Dragonfly Cobalt for a good few years to come (and it looks awesome too! : )

Thanks for all the replies. I’m sticking with my Dragonfly Cobalt. After making some corrections in Roon, it works fine. I only use it for listening away from home on laptop and iPhone. At home, I use my Oppo 203 DAC.

Pretty Late to respond, but just in case, there is this Kickstarter (early bird price are gone already sorry) DAC , i backed them waiting for my piece, i think is this works well it would really fix the earphones/mini DAC struggle.

2 Likes