ROCK Accessing NAS Often [Expected Behavior]

What in the world is ROCK doing to my NAS? I walk by my NAS every once in a while and I have noticed that my Intel NUC running ROCK is constantly accessing my NAS hard drives. I have a QNAP NAS and when I power off my NUC the NAS will just sit their quietly. I have my NAS configured to put the hard drives into standby mode if there has been ZERO activity on them for 20 minutes. With my NUC powered off the drives always go into standby mode. With my NUC up and running ROCK the hard drives never go into standby mode. What is ROCK doing to those hard drives? They are constantly clanking (accessing) the hard drives and they NEVER go into standby mode. What in the world is ROCK doing that it needs to access the hard drives 24 x 7??? My NUC has a 1 TB SSD drive installed into it. I am not logged into ROON on my IPad and I dont have a network drive mounted on my Windows PC.

Nobody has replied to this post so I am going to get @support involved.

1 Like

Tim, itā€™s probably continually scanning to see if you added some new music files to it. Assuming thatā€™s where your music is. You need to say more about your Roon setup for anyone to actually help with this.

1 Like

I have a NETGEAR router / WiFi. I have a QNAP NAS. I have an Intel NUC which is running ROCK.
I have an apple IPad running the ROON user interface. MY SimAudio / Moon DAC is also hardwired to my netgear router. My IPad connects to my NETGEAR router over WiFI. My QNAP NAS is hardwired to that same router. My Intel NUC running ROCK is also hardwired to my router. I just refuse to believe that ROCK is looking for new music 24 x 7. If Iā€™m not logged into my roon account ROCK should NOT be accessing my QNAP NAS. ALL of my music is stored on that NAS. Hard drives in my NAS have a certain life expectancy.
Thereā€™s no reason ROCK needs to be hammering on my NAS
24 x 7 if there is NOTHING going on.!!! I have a 1 TB SSD installed into my NUC.

1 Like

You might want to read this:

1 Like

Are you certain it is ROCK looking for new music? If Iā€™m not logged into my ROON account on my IPad ROCK should NOT be beating up my NAS 24 x 7. How do I disable ROCK from doing that?

No, just a guess. Iā€™m just a user, like you. But since all ROCK does is run Roon, I donā€™t see what else would it would be doing.

Letā€™s get Roon @support involved here, just by mentioning their name!

QNAP has some documentation regarding this:

Containing ā€œShared folder mappingā€ - so maybe the fact that your music is on the NAS and Roon uses SMB to connect to the share (permanently while running) is already enough that thereā€™s no sleep for the drives.

As already discussed in other threads over and over again, use the NAS as backup for your precious music library (I assume it took quite some time to rip all the stuff and you do not want to re-rip the stuff) and buy external and/or internal storage for your ROCK to hold a local copy of the music library for Roon.

anybody home in @support

Hello @TKelley ,

Apologies for the delay in response here. Can you please verify what you have your Rescan Interval set to under Roon Settings ā†’ Storage ā†’ 3-dot menu ā†’ Edit?

Does the issue still occur if you set a longer interval like 24 hours?

What in the world is ROCK doing to my NAS? I walk by my NAS every once in a while and I have noticed that my Intel NUC running ROCK is constantly accessing my NAS hard drives. I have a QNAP NAS and when I power off my NUC the NAS will just sit their quietly. I have my NAS configured to put the hard drives into standby mode if there has been ZERO activity on them for 20 minutes. With my NUC powered off the drives always go into standby mode. With my NUC up and running ROCK the hard drives never go into standby mode. What is ROCK doing to those hard drives? They are constantly clanking (accessing) the hard drives and they NEVER go into standby mode. What in the world is ROCK doing that it needs to access the hard drives 24 x 7??? My NUC has a SSD drive installed into it.

Annoying isnā€™t it!

Roon is sending a SMB Client Info request to the NAS every 5 seconds which causes the NAS to query your disks almost constantly. Thereā€™s a long thread on this already hereā€¦Roon Causing Constant NAS HDD Access - #53 by mike

I donā€™t get really why Roon works like this, I do think itā€™s something Roon should look at in more detail, probably not a priority from their persepctive but something I think a lot of NAS users would welcome

2 Likes

I didnā€™t realise people worried about their NAS running all the time. Mineā€™s been running 24/7 for the last 4 yearsā€¦

I donā€™t mind it running 24/7, itā€™s the constant disk read/write accessā€¦unnecessary IMO

Six IP cams on mine with motion activated recording, so the drives are reading and writing almost constantly. Only had 2 drives fail on me in nearly half a million drive hoursā€¦

Some people might care if they donā€™t use drives rated for that environment. Had a co-worker who only used WD Blue drives in his NAS and wondered why he had issues.

True, but thatā€™s just asking for trouble. When drives are packed together in a NAS, they run hotter and are subject to more vibration. NAS specific drives are rated for that environment. I filled my first ever 4 bay NAS with desktop drives I already owned and they failed faster than I could replace them and rebuild the array. Moved to WD Red and never had a problem after that.

When I upgraded to a 12-bay, I moved from WD reds to Seagate Ironwolf Pro as the Reds are limited to 8-bay installs.

Drives should be regarded as consumables - a bit like car tyres; and by the same analogy, should also be replaced before they let you down.

The need for offsite backup of valuable data should also be a given.

I use Backblaze B2 for mine via Synology Cloudsync - the ā€˜Magicā€™ happens in the background and I donā€™t have to think about it.

For anyone whoā€™s interested (yeah, I need to get a life), Backblaze publishes a quarterly drive report. Good resource for anyone about to splurge on new drives:

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

1 Like

Okay lets get back to the issue hereā€¦If Roon has accomplished nothing in the past 20 minutes it should stop banging on my NAS hard drives and put my NUC to sleep. The more I learn about Roon the more I realize just how silly it is.!!!

Given what Brian and Mike have said in posts quoted earlier in this thread about storage of the Roon library on a NAS, it seems likely that Roon is working as intended here.

It sounds as if the updating issue scales with library size. Are you able to say how many albums are in your library Tim ?

The current design ensures that changes to the library are updated asap in circumstances where the NAS software doesnā€™t report to Roon like an OS does. Users can control the granularity of the rescanning using the setting identified by Noris above.

Did changing that setting from 4 hours to 24 hours reduce drive scanning for you Tim ?

As I understand Brianā€™s linked post above, scanning a NAS takes 10x-20x longer than local storage. If Roon is rescanning a reasonably large library every 4 hours then that could explain the constant drive access.

Users who would prefer a different design can open a thread in Feature Request. It would be helpful to explain the use case, how the current design is falling short and what granularity of rescanning would be preferred.

Users who prefer to avoid the issue altogether can transfer the active music library to USB storage off the NUC and use the NAS for backup.

1 Like

I have a total of 85 tracks. No albums. Iā€™m just getting started. All of my tracks are stored on my NAS. I have an Intel NUC running ROCK and it has a 1 TB SSD card installed in the NUC. I thought ROONā€™S library was stored / managed on the SSD card. My ā€œAutomatic Rescan Intervalā€ in settings is set to 4 hours. So what is ROON doing that he needs to bang on my NAS drives 24 x 7?

1 Like