What is Roon Core's (default) port?

I just installed RoonCommandLine on macOS and I have have two questions about it:

1. Port number: For the config I need my Roon Core’s IP and port number. The Core is on a Synology (default install from roononas.org) and Roon’s About screen gives me the local IP - but not the port of the Core. What is the default port the Core listens on?

2. Token file: Also, in tge config I noice a field for the token file. What is the file roontoken.txt for and how can I obtain a copy of it (to put it in /usr/local/Roon/etc)?

Many thanks for any pointers!

I think it discovers your roon core automatically.

You will need to enable the extension in the roon app (roon / settings / extensions) while the command line is trying to access roon.

It will then get the token direct from roon.

@Ronald_Record the author is here.

Thanks @GregD.

I don’t think the RoonCommandLine tool is getting to my core yet. When i type

$ roon -i

I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "list_zones.py", line 46, in <module>
    roonapi = RoonApi(appinfo, token, server, port)
  File "/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/roonapi/roonapi.py", line 692, in __init__
    raise "host and port of the roon core must be specified!"
TypeError: exceptions must derive from BaseException

Setup

• Roon Core on Synology
  • Roon Controller on Mac
  • RoonCommandLine on Mac

Hi @hallo_leo , as @GregD points out, the RoonCommandLine installation should auto-discover your Roon Core and set the IP and Port appropriately. If this is not happening then provide details and I will try to assist (I’m unavailable this weekend but will be online Monday).

The roontoken.txt is just a way to store an authentication token for subsequent API requests. It can safely be ignored. There should be no need to copy it to another system. It gets initialized during post-install when you authorize the extension.

It may be confusing at first, getting setup. Do not hesitate to ask for help. Also, I have mostly been using Linux lately so I would appreciate any feedback you may have on the Mac install/config/anything.

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in @Ronald_Record! :smile:

In my last post I show the error I get. Does this help you? Let’s talk Monday!

@hallo_leo let’s dig into this. sorry for the delay, it was my birthday and i’m still recuperating from the party :slight_smile:

The Roon Core IP and Port should get auto-discovered and set during installation. On a Mac, when you run the ./Install script it executes ./macInstall and that runs /usr/local/Roon/bin/get_core_ip. This is where the Roon Core should get discovered and you would be prompted to authorize the extension in Roon settings. Did that happen during your install process and did you authorize the extension in Roon settings?

Once authorized the installation writes the discovered IP and Port to the configuration file /usr/local/Roon/etc/roon_api.ini. Check this file and verify that the RoonCoreIP and RoonCorePort settings are correct. I suspect they are not but let’s verify.

You can run /usr/local/Roon/bin/get_core_ip manually as your Roon user and see what that does. It should say something like “Waiting for authorization …”. At that point go to the Roon application and navigate to Settings -> Extensions where you should be able to authorize the RoonCommandLine extension. This manual run is just a test, it will not modify roon_api.ini - it’s just to verify that part of the process is working.

Let me know what roon_api.ini looks like and what the results of manually running get_core_ip produces.

1 Like

Thanks heaps for getting back to me, @Ronald_Record!

I don’t think get_core_ip has run. I will run it tonight when I’m at my home machine and let you know what happens.

Me again, @Ronald_Record.

Indeed get_core_ip hadn’t run.So I executed the install script again – and now it did set the things in roon_api.ini. (E.g. RoonCorePort = 9330)

And now roon -i (and roon -c play and roon -v 50) works which is fantastic! :slight_smile: Thank you very, very much.

2 Likes