What is Roon to you?

They had truly awful covers, especially when you look at them now!

top of the pops keeley

Good post idea and a nice change.

Discovering Roon was a real treat for me. Came in from nowhere really. I had a decent entertainment system, from my viewpoint, with 7.1 surround sound and thought I was happy with Roku/Pandora and my SACD player.

How times have changed. Ripped my small 300 CD collection, not SACD’s, and added Tidal/Qobuz. I had no experience with streaming music, except for Pandora, so the integration of my music files with everything that was available online was simply amazing. Enough so that I moved to a dedicated music server for Roon.

Now I have any music I want playing throughout the house from 3 zones and outside as far as my network can reach. As you mentioned, I can queue up hours of music and enjoy it all day long.

Roon is the mechanism that provides my musical enjoyment and satisfaction.

4 Likes

Its a jukebox for all my digital music content that organizes it in a rational and easy way and squeezes out the best sound quality that those files have to offer! My CD collection (now ripped FLAC files) never sounded this good👍 The provided metadata also makes the listening all that much more enjoyable given that it includes all the info you could wish for regarding the album, artists, composers. The reason its so hard to describe Roon is that its a wonderful amalgam of things baked into one harmonious program. Kudos indeed!

2 Likes

I’m enjoying my music more now that I’ve switched to roon. And I’ve written several times about how I think music discovery is the jewel of Roon. But:

Whenever you drastically change your workflow, not matter what it is, it will cause you to think about things differently and see things you didn’t in the old workflow. Roon is no different. A change from iTunes to Roon with no new music will show you your existing collection in a new light, and bring hidden gems to the surface.

Sheldon

1 Like

A convenient and cost effective ($500) way to stream Tidal and Qobuz to various locations in my house.

3 Likes

Roon has brought back the enjoyment I had listening to vinyl with their Artist and Album notes. Control with my iPad has increased my music enjoyment 1000%! I quit vinyl two decades+ ago as I tired of the myriad of items to do before one note could be played.

I use my iPad from anywhere in the house with different locations to listen from. My next goal is to try and figure out how to do Multi-channel…as I have not played SACD’s or Blu-ray since Roon was installed.

4 Likes

I started a topic on how I am a happy user.
It redefines the way I listen to music.
Everything on the same software: local, Tidal, qobuz…
Makes me switch on my Mcintosh with lot of pleasure.
Love to read bios, discover songs or singer I would never listen to before…
And I have the impression I take the maximum from my set up instead of going through Airplay…
At last I thing it gathered most of things I like to see: albums, lyrics, sample rate, bit depht.

Only cons: price is a bit high but it is like crying to buy a 2€ app when you have a 1500€ phone…

4 Likes

Any music (mostly) on any device (almost) … and it just works! (most of the time!) Add deep linking metadata, music discovery, bios and reviews and it can’t be beat.

You just have to love Roon, warts and all :grinning:

1 Like

Roon is fantastic software and I can’t imagine not having it in a modern digital audio system. But what really changed my listening habits was streaming. I happen to use Qobuz but I’m sure Tidal is no different.

As a classical music listener, I can try out stuff I wouldn’t have if I would have had to buy a CD. I’ve discovered composers and compositions that I love. Who knew that I would love baroque music so much. Every week I add 3 or 4 new classical albums to Roon and toss them into the queue. If I don’t like them when I listen, whatever! No incremental cost.

3 Likes

Before I started using Roon in 2015 (previously, I used iTunes), I had 2000+ CDs stored in cabinets in my listening room…idiosyncratically organized and most hardly ever listened to simply because it was such a chore to scan/search the shelves. So, i usually listened to only the most recently acquired albums.

Now, with all CDs ripped to a sonicTranporter-AP with a 8 TB HDD, my music listening habits have been completely revolutionized. I’ve organized, tagged and bookmarked my collection (60% classical, 30% jazz) so I can instantly access and listen to albums I forgot I even had in my collection. The reviews, credits and embedded links are a bonus. Plus, I’m a Qobuz Sublime+ subscriber, so discovering, streaming and purchasing new music to integrate with my library is a breeze. In short, as @kneville concisely put it, “Roon is my music”!

6 Likes

^ ^ This :smile:

Besides slight difference in music tastes/preferences, this is my story too…as I rock out to “7empest” by Tool :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :grin:

4 Likes

For me, Roon is a music management ecosystem that seamlessly integrates software, hardware, and content. Plus, it provides performance metrics and an excellent community support forum. Users can ease into Roon with old computers, audio gear, and music libraries. Whether you have $500 worth of used gear or a new $50K dream system, Roon can make it easier and more fun to use.

2 Likes

For me, I have fallen in love with music again; all kinds, all variations, because, quite simply, all music played or suggested by Roon facilitates emotional connection in a way that it never did before. I love my Nucleus+ and the simplicity, yet initiative application that is Roon. A side note, I have never stayed up so late, so often, listening to music.

9 Likes

Roon is a useless but thoroughly entertaining time suck. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

In this day and age, I find time sucks incredibly useful! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yep, just messaging having woken up in front of my system. Falling asleep in the bean bag is not good for my back and I fear Roon may cripple me.

3 Likes

The one and only reason I went to Roon was because of the sound quality. I had changed my hardware that happened to be Roon Ready gear and using that driver to the amps there was a much better sound than the previous setup.

2 Likes

+1
That’s it in a nutshell! Love of music, that’s what Roon energises, all that technical stuff is iceberg under the water :slight_smile:

1 Like

Strangely enough, Roon is what pushed me back into playing vinyl. Real liner notes from actual sleeves and inserts, the glorious feeling of actually handling a physical medium that is human-sized as opposed to minuscule CD’s or the artificial environment of a computer interface, living sound with or without imperfections, real high res music on carriers with history, a back story and memories attached.

I’m actually happy that the shortcomings of the streaming experience - with or without Roon - took me back to analog for real listening.

2 Likes

It was Tidal, not Roon, that re-energized my love of music. For very little money, I have access to almost every album I would ever want to listen to. Then, when looking for ways to send music from my laptop and iPhone to my Bose system, I discovered Roon as an alternative to another piece of hardware. Things progressed from there.

For me, Roon enhances the experience, but it’s just part of it along with Tidal and Qobuz, and the hardware, of course.