What is the latest concert you've been to? [2016-2019]

Nils Frahm at 9:30 Club in DC last night. One dude and a bunch of gear. Quiet, respectful crowd. Great show.

1 Like

Last Week, it was JJ Grey and MOFRO at Live! at the Baltimore Harbor.

2 Likes

Last weekend I traveled to Berlin, Germany to see Jazz at Berlin Philharmonic, a concert series curated by Siggi Loch, boss of the label ACT. The series yielded some very nice albums so far (seven I think), however not every concert ends up on CD. This in fact was concert no. 20 with the title Swing, Swing, Swing – A Tribute to Benny Goodman. And swinging they certainly came out! What a great lineup, so much fun to see those world class musicians in action!

• NDR Bigband (one of three full time radio big bands we have in Germany)
  • Rolf Kühn clarinet
  • Émile Parisien soprano saxophone
  • Christopher Dell vibraphone
  • Iiro Rantala piano
  • Lars Danielsson bass
  • Jeff Hamilton drums

They tried to recreate the historic Goodman concert in Carnegie Hall 80 years ago but did a little more modern interpretation. Rolf Kühn was still spot on despite his 88 years. Seeing Iiro Rantala live was very cool, he is really great. The unexpected star of the night for me was Émile Parisien, a young sax player from France, he was awesome! Expect to hear more of him.

There is a short clip from the local news channel and this selfie from Rantala and Kühn backstage on instagram.

1 Like

Saw Greta van Fleet in Cologne yesterday. I have to say that I was a little bit disappointed. I just knew their last album “From the Fires” and I really like it. But, to be honest, the concert did not live up to the expectations the album raised. The singer has an interesting Robert-Plant-like voice, but his way of singing is just to much in the long run. Anyhow, these guys are still very young and I’m convinced they will improve and forge ahead.

1 Like

Toto Thursday night in Geneva

2 Likes

Hi @Dirk-Pitt,

how was it? Did you like it?

Really very nice with a more intimate part in the middle to play early tunes.

1 Like

Just recovering from hosting Don Gallardo, Hanna Rose Platt (Her first full band show) and Steve Young.
Don Gallardo was so impressed with Jane Cuthbert on violin (From Steve Young’s band) he had her join him on his solo opening number as well as closing the show.

Hannah Rose Platt vowed never to play solo again…

This was an amazing gig with some staggering guitar playing from Jim Maving who plays with the band Case Hardin.

And wow, what a great version of Tupelo Honey they played.

Sorry folks, you just don’t get this on any album ever

My show review is here.

http://www.littlerabbitbarn.com/don-gallardo-hannah-rose-platt-steve-young-saturday-24-march-2018

Just back from the BBC Singers performing Stainer’s The Crucifixion in Guildford Cathedral - broadcast live on Radio 3

From 3:00:00

1 Like

Eri Yamamoto Trio at the Washington, DC jazz institution, Blues Alley, last night.

Steven Wilson in Manchester yesterday night.

4 Likes

Just back from being invited by Elles Bailey to a show at The Tuesday Night Music Club. It was a long trip and I even paid my way at the super high price of £5.00. :nerd_face:

What an incredible performer she is with her great band of Joe Wilkins on Guitar, Johnny Henderson on Organ, Zak Ranyard on Bass and Mathew Jones on Drums.

The old songs are amazing and the new material for her next album due in October is even stronger.

You just must see this lady with her band live, you really must!

Elles paid us this tribute.

Pics from Facebook post by the club

1 Like

Loud & minimalistic electronic punk: Sleaford Mods.

1 Like

Roger Waters in Barcelona last saturday :

1 Like

Christian Sands Trio last week.

Sam Brothers came back to Guildford last night… we enjoyed it so much last time we went again.

This time supported by Henry Padovani

djeeez you have been busy :wink:

This one is coming up for me in a few months as well.

Yes, sure :grinning:

You can take a look at my agenda here : https://www.songkick.com/users/Dirk-Pitt

As you can see, I’m going back to see Roger Waters at the BST Hyde Park Festival in July.

1 Like

Last night, the most excellent Steven Wilson at The Egg in Albany, NY. I’m working on less than 4 hours of sleep, but it was absolutely worth it!

3 Likes

Last Friday night: Emily Smith & Jamie McClennan at the Mill Arts Centre, Banbury (UK). Excellent folk duo, who played a mixture of traditional and their own songs. A rather small but nonetheless enthusiastic audience.