What is the latest concert you've been to? [2016-2019]

Recently saw Emily Barker at Kings Place in Kings Cross London. This was the best sounding concert of any size I have ever been to. Her side musician explained that he likes the venue as a few days prior to the gig they email you asking which Stienway you prefer… Emily has a new album out soon.

More recent we hosted Emma Ballantine supporting Ben Glover. (Ben writes with Gretchen Peters and Mary Gauthier) and The Frankie Davies Band, an all girl sensation. Check out their version of ‘The Chain’.

2 Likes

A group of 9 will attend Krista Detor gig at Manor Farm, Ardley, Oxfordshire, UK on Friday 17th March. They have a Steinway here too with a maximum audience of 50. An incredible, intimate venue hosted by Frances and John Maksinski
www.mfmf.co.uk
At the last count a few seats may be available for a great evening at this invite only venue. This will be the third year running that we have been privileged to see the wonderful Krista Detor.

Just back from “The Gloaming” in the National Concert Hall, Dublin. Night 7 of 7.

https://i0.wp.com/state.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/The-Gloaming-Hugh-McCabe-hi-res-e1442935380780.jpeg?resize=646%2C433

The Gloaming dwells at a musical crossroads, enhancing traditional Irish music’s rich, melancholic tones with modern hues of jazz, contemporary classical, and experimental music.

Not my words but a very apt description. I’m not sure if the piano is improvised or arranged but it brought the 3 excellent players and singer to another plane entirely.

So I feel you’re in Portland, Boston, Hanover or Richmond, get buying tickets now!

.sjb

1 Like

Saw The Necks at Blue Whale in Little Tokyo in LA

Seth Lakeman at The Stables last weekend. Outstanding.

This last Thursday night March 16th at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, NJ. Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. Great venue and a great show.

We also had the pleasure of seeing Elles Bailey with her band this week. She is amazing and someone you don’t want to miss if you like contemporary blues.
Happily we have booked her for October to play for us.

Lake Street Dive tonight at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach!!! So stoked!

1 Like

Lee Scratch Perry enjoyed himself in Dublin’s Whelans last night

The encore was the crowd singing him Happy Birthday to celebrate his 81st birthday today.

The band were hot and they finished with a stonking version of Exedous.

He was hilariously fluid with lyrics, one song being changed thoroughly to “sip it, sip it… the Guinness… sip it” all to an infectious reggae beat.

Glad to have seen one of the seminal Jamaican father’s of dub.

.sjb

3 Likes

Lake Street Dive! Great show, got to meet the band. Fun fun night!

Robben Ford, playing the Bristol Jazz & Blues Festival at Colston Hall on Saturday. My view from the front row (membership perk!) “Best Guitarist in the World” is thrown around a lot, but he’s certainly up there! A complete masterclass.

4 Likes

It’s great getting close to see great performers.

Goldfrapp - O2 Oxford this evening, so much energy, so much bass, so loud !!!

1 Like

Yesterday evening to Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds. Unbelievably good. Perfect sound.

The James Hunter Six - Seattle

Just off to see BirdPen @ ArtTheater, Cologne.

Grew up fairly close to there and never even knew it existed… was quite a few years ago now.

Last concert I went to was Ryan Adams in Charleston. Or maybe it was Andrew Bird in Savannah. Can’t remember. Anyway, this coming weekend I’m going to see Jason Isbell (Sat) and Hiss Golden Messenger (Sun). Should be a fun weekend!

Let us know how they go.

Heading to Isbell myself later in the year.

.sjb

I suppose it’s a bit of the prophet never been recognised in their hometown, but this was the first time I was at a Mary Black concert and I have obviously missed many fine nights down through the years. Wonderful live renditions of songs that I had presumed were dead to me from over exposure on the airwaves, as well as some songs that we are new to me including a beautiful old one about her late mother. The band were phenomenal all virtuosos on their particular instruments all having a good time with fantastic interplay.

.sjb

3 Likes