What is "Top Tracks" supposed to show?

Not sure if this is the right place for this…
It seems to me that Top Tracks is often not a great deal of use. I’m wondering what it is supposed to show?

For example for Crowded House I get this:
Don’t Dream its Over appears five times

This is one of Roon’s ‘Please fix it or delete it!’ features and has never been even remotely useful. Same story for ‘Focus On Similar’.

1 Like

So can someone tell me what the intention of “top tracks’ is ?

Focus on similar is great, it allows you to explore similar music and find something new, if you choose.

Probably the most played tracks, as in, most popular, as in Top Track.

I’m guessing here, but it seems to me (from looking at my own library) that Top Tracks for any particular artist/performer is driven primarily by the number of plays that I have done, and if those are very small (or zero), then by the most popular tracks as measured in the streaming service(s) that I subscribe to.

Good one! Maybe a Roon staff member can explain it…

Well if the OP is a Crowded House fan and has played a lot of their stuff, everything shown in the screenshot is 0 Tidal plays. What does ‘Top’ represent in this case, just other Tidal users tastes?

What I thought it was, and what to me would be the most useful meaning, would be “what are the top tracks/ best tracks from that particular artist”

So If I were exploring an artist that I was not familiar with, I could go to their “top tracks” and get a sample of their best work.

As it stands, it’s confusing. Clearly in my example, it isn’t the tracks that I’ve played most. But even if it was, why would it show the same song multiple times?
And if it is based on other Tidal users tastes, again why the multiple instances of the same song?

1 Like

Who decides what ‘top tracks/ best tracks’ are? @support

In your example, it’s the same song, but on different albums. It may even be different performances.

Hi @Trevor_Nathan,

We appreciate the feedback here! We understand that there are some cases where Top Tracks might not always display, and that in some cases it might not display the desired information. We have plans to make some improvements to this feature in the future but we can’t provide any specific timelines just yet. I’ll be sure your feedback gets to the team as well!

What I thought it was, and what to me would be the most useful meaning, would be “what are the top tracks/ best tracks from that particular artist”

That’s exactly what I’d like roon to do (in combinaison with most played songs). Moreover, since not all users use Tidal or Qobuz (I only play my local songs), suggestions could be provided by last.fm for example.

That would be exactly what I would be looking for. Please add that as it does not do that now.
Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.