What Linux is the best, simplest for n00bs and alltogether the best performing?

Hope this is how it should look when starting sewrvices?

Do I have to every time I start the PC?

Guess I should write in english and add the photos I quote … :rofl:

Hey, HQPlayerd does not respond when I call from Chrome the exact phrases you wrote above. I guess the user and password is the same as it always has been? Did I get the right replies in the terminal when I wrote the commands?

I just restarted the machine, and it worked now. It popped up the form as I reconstructed the Chrome browser “after the sudden closure” in conjunction with my restart. Seems Microsoft’s been involved in Linux after all … :wink:

So I am in! Now I do not have a player since the client was un-installetd at same time as desktop. Roon is after several trials not become operational, så that does not work either.

Any suggestions how to install just the Client onboard the HQPlayerd machine?

You can have the Desktop package that includes Client installed, but you cannot have the server component (HQPlayer Desktop) running simultaneously with the other server component (HQPlayer Embedded).

But can you describe what is reason for the exercise for running Embedded instead of Desktop if you anyway have the GUI locally?

No, you don’t need to uninstall it.

No, it is enabled and will be started on every boot until disabled.

You skipped the service start part earlier that I wrote about… So you had to restart the OS to get the service started.

1 Like

Excellent, so I just don’t start the HQP desktop part of the package, and then Client will not be confused and will work with the Embedded? … WOW, that’s sweet, Jussi!
The reason for proceeding with the Embedded, I am afraid is about SEK 3.000:-. I have spent that amount on the graphics card now, and I just have to decide where those manoey is best spent. I wanted to have the 24/192 playing stronger than having the HQP desktop as an entire package. Will see about the future. Still I think it would be worthwhile contemplating about a stand-alone Client installation package. Now I am going to see if everything works to play. Is it possible to route Spotify, standard installation in Ubuntu, through HQPlayerd? I am not the user, but I would assume my wife would a jaw dropping experience if I show her about Spotify → HQPlayerd → RME
BRB, nowe I am going to hopefully play some serious music

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Works like a charm and was able to authorize with existing key. Sounds so f*cking good * excuse my French *.

Now I am going to see if there is anything that is changed when it comes to playing back 24-192 tracks from Qobuz. It should not have changed, but one never know until tried. I have set the same settings as before, and so far everything is just simply the best. You are a true sound magician, Jussi, and I am sorry I am such a headache in computers and cannot follow you in that world.

2 Likes

Now I found the command you were refering to. Did not see the difference between the command before htis, they saw just alike to me. * sorry *

Now, I am puzzled. It’ll be interesting to hear what the experts say about this; I have not been able to playback 24-192 files. There has been inevitable yet small pauses while playing. But now, I am using HQP Client to pklayback on the same pc as HQPlayerd is installed on Linux Ubuntu OS, now there is NO more pauses … ???
There is no problematic latency to start playback. I have exactly same settings in the config page. NO pauses to recover and buffer up again. Police described the phenomena - ghost in the machinery. And I have a nvidia card on y va to cure this - non-problem …
Comments are very welcome … This is why I donät like computers. I bet there is a logic somewhere, but I can’t see it. I’d better install the card, who knows what tomorrow brings in terms of challanges?

OK, I have spent a moment of great musical happiness with Linux (Ubuntu) and the installation of HQPlayerd and HQP Client, able to playback also the recent impossible tracks of 24-192 from Qubuz. I don’t know why, but who cares, it works.

Now awaits the final contest, head to head between Roon and HQPlyers own playback. The HQPlayer playback have so far been the by far superior playback in terms of SQ. However, the level of refinement is not in favour of HQP, why I am anxiously trying to start trying Roon installet on the same pc as the HQPlyerd and HQP Client. That simply must be the most fair comparison, as all differences s removed. Remaining is the exact same computer, Ubuntu OS, HQPlyerd as resampling software, and head to head contestents HQP Client and Roon playing identical tracks to the identical setting of HQP resampler. also the exactly same following gear as output trail from HQP resampling.
I have been trying to install Roon as it is described on the Roon page. Off corse it does not work …
I do not blame the Roon page,. I simply am not statuated to do this kind of actions without a reat amont of wrong doings.

Now having rolled over admitting my short commings, is there any kind sould that can write each step (again) how to install Roon on Ubuntu, using the (anxiety) terminal. so can I respond after each step with a screen print to verify that each step run and gave the correct responce as it should? Feel free to start whenever you like, I will be waiting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It seems I have been able to start Roon Server on Linux, I just got Roon started to incorporate my NAS library. now, ir remains audio zone and Qobuz … You never know, maybe I am getting there * knock on wood * ie the head …

1 Like

I did it, I f****ng did it. HQPlayerd works, HQP Client works, Roon Server works, Spotify works, but not yet through HQP. Everything on the same pc with Ubuntu OS, No NAA, I got a separately DC fed USB controller card, shielded and galvanically isolated.
It sounds marvellous. Now after a very quick trial, I still see HQP as the better playback as werll as resample. Roon sounds better on this computer, but cannot match HQP. I suspected this, but now I hear it. I will spend a lot of time tomorrow scrutinizing many genres, before giving my final opinion, but at this very moment Roon Radio will be the main source while doing the everyday things, but the in-depth listening will be HQP.

Thank you guys for your limitless patience with this dude and the advice here, I hev scrolled up and down so many times today and the single malt helped me relax enough o actually read and find the right ways.

Still I cannot understand why adding a link to a software need to be so darn difficult. My NAS did not open op en up unitil I added the IP + share. The smb: and other stuff did do a thing in the right direction. This things have never been a problem when fiddling with Roon in Windows invironment. It is not the difference to Windows, it is simply the erratic behavior. And no browse funcionality …

Music, lovely music, and my wife on conference … Talk about a good night … :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Now, two things. There is one not working as it should. The other one - missing?

1. In HQPlayerd I no longer find the section in the webUI where I am supposed to mount the NAS. Have been looking for the help link, up to the right, but no I have not found it if it is there? How do I mount a NAS? Perhaps some fiddling with Terminal?

2. The volume works strangely. In my former configs, Roon on one computer, HQP on another, Roon is instructed to play to the “device” HQPlayer Embedded, the ALSA beckend is of “no” interest to Roon. In Roon I set to use the “device” volume, i e HQP’s volume. But still operational within Roon software. Now it acts as it should refering to the settings in HQPlayer config when it comes to max, min and start volume. But, when I start playback fom Roon, at any given volume, I cannot change it … I can move the slider from e g 45 to 35, but in just one second, it goes back to 45 again. By itself. I did work yesterday evening, prior to a restart, but after that it went bananas. What!?

btw, this is the sh*t. When working as it should the freedom of having everything in one computer, silent enough to present in the living room and alla things needed available this easy.

Great job Stefan.

I hope you kept notes of all your steps :smile:

Now you can help others on this journey!

1 Like

Thanks! It is an exhausting experience … Thanks for all valuable comments and insights during my time hear :heartbeat:

There are some issues, left as the above final comment says, but this things I have no clue to sort out. Hope that Jussi got the idea what root causes are.

btw. It sounds so good. HQP is the true audio nerd nirvana :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Are you using HQPlayer embedded or desktop?

Hi, I am using the stand alone headless HQPlayerd on Ubuntu. Not the desktop. I did however had to install the entire package as Client is not selectable in Linux. As long as I did not start the HQP Desktop, it would not interfere with the HQPlyerd acc to Jussi.

Is there perhaps issues because of HQPlayerd, do you think?

I would assume as Linux is a work in progress that all the various operational conditions is hard to foresee. I stumbled over another glitch this morning. When stop playing from Client, over HQPlayerd, it take possession of the DAC (USB interface) and do not realease the DAC för e g Spotify. I simply have to turn of the DAC and on again, to “set it free”. Sice the HQPlayerd headless doftware is constantly running as part of the system, I cannot exit the program unless using the darn Terminal every time.

I am perhaps a stupid f*ck who left a perfektly working Roon ROCK on one pc and HQPlayer Embedded on a second and Spotify on a third just because trying to integrate everything …

:sweat_smile:

When I look at the config page, it says also Embedded, even if it is not the same image and do not carry its own OS.

No issues afaik …
I can guide you for the first point:
to create a library in HQPlayer embedded use its web interface, go to Network Mounts tab

and type the share name in the form //nas-ip-address/share-name , then the nas userid and password and Apply.

Then go to Library tab

and select /smb from the Path menu and click Scan. Wait until the process ends

That is what I have done in the past in HQP Embedded OS, but he webUI looks like this in the the Ubuntu version: confusing

I didn’t understand you were using embedded on Linux and not embedded OS, sorry (I’m using embedded OS)
Better to wait for @jussi_laako