What makes a great DRUMMER? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Hi @Stu_Farnham,

which Elvin Jones album can you recommend? Roach and DeJohnette have already been introduced in this thread…

Good recommendations! Thanks!

Crazily I forgot Peter Erskine! Wonderful musical drummer. Loved his work on Kate Bushes Aerial album…

3 Likes

Hi @Jonathan_Dibble1!

Yeah, in a thread like this we can’t afford to ignore him. Here’s one of the many albums I could recommend. What I really like about Erskine is the fact that he never tries to impress, never steals the limelight from his fellow musicians, never shows off his incredible skills if it it isn’t necessary…

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-are-you-listening-to-now/8438/5768?u=hwz1970

2 Likes

Ginger Baker (Cream) / Steve Gadd / Carl Palmer (ELP) / John Bonham /Neil Peart

@Aernout_Bok
Any album recommendations?

Ginger Baker: Cream Live at Royal Albert Hall May 2005 (because he still can play rock with a jazzy feel!)
Steve Gadd: Everything with Eric Clapton / Simon & Garfunkel (concert in Central Park)
Carl Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery
John Bonham: Led Zeppelin II (and I / III and IV)
Neil Peart: Different Stage Live (Rush)

1 Like

I see Simon Phillips mentioned a lot, I can only concur with that, a great drummer! I really like his work with Protocol, but also on several cooperation’s with Mike Oldfield (Crisis, Discovery).

He also played with Big Country, which had another great drummer playing: Mark Brzezicki

Billy Cobham along with Tommy Bolin Guitar is fast and furious on album “Spectrum” but never looses control, absolutely brilliant. Never heard better, MQA 96k.

2 Likes

I had the pleasure to see Brian Blade live recently with Danilo Pérez and John Patitucci. You can find them on tidal with the album “Children of the Light”. Blade showed everything a great jazz drummer needs for my taste. Not hiding behind a huge drum kit, he was so musical and delicate, showing modesty while contributing a real third to the trio and not just accompanying the other two. He was fast, precise and light in his solos, though never broke a sweat and never stopped smiling. Make sure to check out his album “Landmark”.

I also like Antonio Sanchez for the somewhat more pronounced style, his album “The Meridian Suite” is quite cool and shows some real skill.

And speaking of “The ability to have all 4 limbs play independently”, as @Brian_Santarcngelo pointed out, I immediately think of Rick Allen from Def Leppard… :wink:

1 Like

More is More:

Omar Hakim (The Dream of the Blue Turtles, Bring On the Night)

Manu Katche (…Nothing Like the Sun, So, The Soul Cages)

Vinnie Colaiuta (everything, but especially Ten Summoner’s Tales)

Less is More:

Nick Mason (everything)

3 Likes

Hi @David_Swanwick,

you seem to like Sting a lot…:grinning: (I do, too.).

Buddy Rich
End of story

1 Like

A contemporary master close to BR is Luigi Paulino Alfredo Francesco Antonio Balassoni, known by the stage name Louie Bellson,
Check out on youtube real drum battle between Buddy and Louie in black and white

Alive but inactive Dick Cully…also youtube him
Techo master and in style of aforementioned legends
Based on the music one enjoys the rhythm section can always make the final difference

To me, drums play a supporting role but they aren’t the main attraction. Good drumming should complement and enhance the vocals or piano without overwhelming. Ringo Starr is always audible in the background but rarely comes into the limelight except for a brief measure or two, to punctuate a just-completed vocal refrain.

This morning I was listening to Maria (the Pretenders) and Just Like Heaven (the Cure). It’s hard to imagine these performances without drums. I think the vocals would sound like a lazy game of softball catch, without the hard-charging effect you get with drums. So drums are very important, but still they’re supporting instruments. I’m not too keen on virtuoso show-offs.

Great drummers need stamina. They need to play their supporting (but rather athletic) role through an entire evening, then year after year for as long as the act stays together. Ringo exemplifies this pretty well, even though he may not be considered the greatest virtuoso. Is it my imagination or is there a lot of burn-out among drummers?

2 Likes

+1 for Billy Cobham, Spectrum. Incredible…!

5 Likes

Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Fleetwood, my son on his toy drum set (hah!)

@olchon
Glad you also like this great album, so many of the tracks from 1973!, are as fresh today as they were nearly 45 years ago.
If readers have not experienced this, play it, and ease up the volume to recognise the obvious connections to today’s music fusions.

This is a recommendation made by @dunga in another thread. Tom Skinner’s drum work on this album is definitely worth checking out (if you’re open to jazz trio…). One of the highlights is “Sweet Duke” (track 1). Have fun!!!

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-are-you-listening-to-now/8438/5805?u=hwz1970

2 Likes

Don’t think anybody mentioned Ian Paice yet.