What makes a great DRUMMER? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

Oops…my memory isn’t what it used to be… :innocent:
(and I even clicked on the heart button, back then…sigh!)

1 Like

Armeoudji „Vicky“ Joseph. Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou. The name says it: polyrhythmic and ultra precise. A master. Or Yehouessi Leopold from the same band. Listen to Echos Hypnotiques.

1 Like

Hard rock drummers for me.

Stephen Perkins - Janes Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual and Nothing Shocking
Not playing with the live band but like this shop demo - good rocking out now just the same as he did 20 years ago.

Steven Adler - Guns n’ roses - appetite for destruction. Am sure not one for the jazz purists but great sound on that album and just absolutely killed it !

Incredible technicality is only one facet of what may make up a great drummer! Bit like with guitarists.

Brann Dailor - Mastodon - Blood Mountain.

2 Likes

Here’s another Buddy Rich video. Incredible solo!

5 Likes

Check out Damion Reid in this YouTube video. Great musicality and very impressive technical skills!

Among other things, Reid is the drummer of the Robert Glasper Trio. Have a listen to the album “Covered” or to “In My Element”. Both are absolutely fantastic IMHO.

10 Likes

Check out this clip, too. Reid is such a great artist! (Sorry about the poor PQ.)

2 Likes
2 Likes

Benny Greb

1 Like

Check out John Davis on this album by flautist Mayu Saeki.

Try track 1, “Dilemma”. Absolutely fantastic drumming!!! Great skills and amazing musicality…

3 Likes

Maybe not a great drummer, but not bad for a guitarist :

2 Likes

Not bad indeed. Thanks for sharing this video.

Marcus Gilmore, grandson of Roy Haynes…

Check out this fantastic solo…

3 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/hP2txPv.png

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your recommendations, @miklats. Will check them out later this afternoon. I only know the last album you posted (Moanin’ by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers)…

@miklats

Check out this video…

4 Likes