What makes a great JAZZ PIANIST? Examples of outstanding artists and recordings

I must admit that when I think of Patricia Barber, the first thing that comes to my mind is her beautiful and immediately recognizable singing voice, which I’ve been fond of for many, many years, but you’re absolutely right - she definitely deserves to be acknowledged as a very able pianist, too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the introduction to Bill Charlap - will definitely explore his music.
Meanwhile continuing the European Jazz theme - another favorite is Tingvall Trio

2 Likes

I do have Marseille in hires and love it! No Qobuz down here in Copenhagen unfortunately but will find it.

Alma is a truely a perfect Saturday morning album that ends perfectly with “Under african skies” to leave you refreshed, energized and happy. Icing on the cake: Miles like trumpet sound and solo. Thank you Phil.

A guy I know from my time in university. Definitely worth to check out.
RoonShareImage-636453932086076944

Wonderful suggestions!

A couple of other interesting Italian pianists, Giovanni Guidi (somewhat cerebral) and Claudio Filippini (more accessible)

Speaking of Keith Jarrett. He and Charlie Haden fit like hand and glove.
RoonShareImage-636453803333905880RoonShareImage-636453803583181830

6 Likes

While in Europe, check out Marcin Wasilewski and Benedikt Jahnel

2 Likes

The Jarrett/Haden duos are really special

One of my all-time favorites is Steve Kuhn

2 Likes

There are great women who are worth a mention here.

Geri Allen, sadly, passed away very recently.

6 Likes

…Jessica Williams, a true master of the art

2 Likes

Two really beautiful albums, which I’ve listened to so often that I have the feeling I know them inside out. Charlie Haden had music in the marrow of his bones!!!

2 Likes

…or Eliane Elias, with or without the great Marc Johnson (her husband) on bass

2 Likes

Hi Marco! Thanks a lot for bringing up Jessica Williams. A bit of a blind spot with me. Listening to “Higher Standards” right now. Great stuff.

Speaking of female pianists:

5 Likes

You are most welcome Hans-Willi. Thank you for starting such an interesting thread

Hiromi is technically dazzling, her speed is amazing! Not an everyday listen for me though…

2 Likes

I definitely know what you mean. That’s why I didn’t recommend a whole album. But Hiromi’s rendition of “I got rhythm” in the above YouTube clip always makes me smile, although I also go a little dizzy when trying to watch her fingers do their work. :grinning:

2 Likes

IMHO she has a lot more to offer than extremely fast fingers. The clip you posted is a good case in point. I think what she’s playing there is very creative and original.

4 Likes

Maybe my favorite Geri Allen recorded performance is with Charles Lloyd in “Jumping the Creek.” Their cover of Brel’s “Ne Me Quitte Pas” that opens the album is so intense that is almost overwhelming.

https://i.imgur.com/rbpGPuo.png

2 Likes

Yes, Hiromi is fantastic.
I especially like the track Voice, on the Voice album:
https://i.imgur.com/DO2rlXt.png

2 Likes

Very nice find in this link shared in another thread:
http://livejazzlounge.com/tag/mccoy-tyner/

1 Like