What makes a networked player RoonReady? Software or Hardware? [Answered]

Presuming that Roon Core is installed on a networked Windows computer, can any networked audio component (DAC, AVR) that is on this network (wifi or ethernet) utilize RAAT?

More specifically, must the DAC have a RoonReady hardware interface or can any networked DAC that can utilize DLNA, AirPlay, AptX, etc. simply deliver music files via RAAT via software (and not hardware) through the network?

For example, I understand that a NAD networked player such the C390DD digital amp will be RoonReady with the addition of a NAD accessory called BlueOS internal adapter. In this case, this is a hardware adapter accessory that the C390DD requires to make it BlueOS functional. With this adapter, it becomes RoonReady. OTOH, I have a NAD D7050 which is a smaller digital amp/network player. It does not have BlueOS nor can the adapter be installed, but it is a network player (AirPlay, AptX, DLNA). So I’m wondering whether its status as network player sufficient to utilize RAAT, or if requires a hardware interface?

Thank you

It’s software that makes a capable device RoonReady; typically in the form of a firmware upgrade by the manufacturer.

If you can access a device’s operating system and it is running Windows, Mac OS, Linux (armv7hf and x64) or Android, then you can install Roon Bridge (or the Roon app for Android) and it will receive RAAT.

To expand on Andy’s reply:

Roon natively streams to its own protocol RAAT (whether RAAT is supported in the devices hardware or on a computer running RAAT software), Airplay or Squeezebox. Rooon does not use DLNA or UPNP for many reasons which you can read if you search for them on this forum.

The D7050 will be seen as an Airplay device only, and as such, will be limited to the resolution of Airplay.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.I have one add’l question. Both RAAT and DTS Play-Fi appear to be gaining traction with high end audio companies. Are these directly competing solutions or do they do different things?

I don’t know much at all about DTS Play-Fi but it seems to be limited to 48kHz wireless.

This KB page sets out some detail about RAAT.

At the moment Roon doesn’t support DTS Play-Fi and my guess is that it is unlikely to do so, so they could be viewed as competitive protocols from a marketing perspective.

Play-Fi can handle up to 24/192 depending on DAC’s capabilities.
I have a wonderful Arcam rPlay that sounds remarkably well, and supports HiRes files via Play-Fi.
The problem is that it is not supported directly by HiFi companies but only by DTS via its own APP.
It does DNLA in a non clever way (no sticky settings, so you have to search for the server and connect any single time you open your app…) and this happens with Polk and Klipsch apps too (I bet these are branded version only).

I don’t think RAAT and Play-Fi are in competition…
As far as I understood Play-Fi is conceptually similar to an AirPlay “on steroids” so it could be considered as an endpoint in the Roon’s ecosystem. Also, it is how it works with DTS APP… Add as much endpoints as you want, then choose what you want to play and where, group them, swap, transfer…
But I don’t know technical implications here… So take this with a pinch of salt.

Unfortunately Play-Fi seems to me a gamble so far, and I say this as an owner.
Technology is rock solid and very valuable, but It is not supported by a rock solid APP…
Liquid music needs top notch software.