What Motivates Us To Own So Many Recordings?

Like many on this forum I have a fairly big library although not nearly as huge as others. In my case just short of 13000 tracks and many of these in various formats Hi-Res, Flac and MP3. Many of the albums are duplicated in several formats and if I could Rip Vinyl as easy as CD’s I would probably do it. Would you believe I have just started to Rip my modest CD collection with many already stored on my Nucleus in other formats, I must be totally Bonkers :scream:. It would probably take me another lifetime to play every album in the collection.

So far I have purchased around 60 albums from Qobuz since last December. ( Why would I pay to own these titles when they can be streamed with a streaming plan ), Well like most people I suspect for some reasone just prefer to own the albums!. Damn it just remembered I ordered the " Abbey Road super deluxe release on Vinyl this morning ", Another version to sit with the others :grinning: . By the way the Wife thinks I’m bonkers but she loves me really.

This post is an observation and not in any way reflects real life!.

1 Like

Because we by nature like to protect and treasure things that please us. With a subscription, there are no guarantees, its out of your control - tomorrow it may be gone.

4 Likes

15k tracks here- I think about that as well- I’m ripping CDs and thinking “how many times will I listen to this rip?” Ah well, it is fun to play with your toys, I guess. Whoever has the most toys wins :laughing:

@mikeb makes a good point- I have seen many times where a title is available and is later removed without warning. Better to have those you really like in your own control.

2 Likes

We owe it to the artists, who give us so much pleasure, to buy their product.
Streaming pays shit compared to a purchase.
If we can afford it, which we probably can if we run Roon, we should reward the people who make our lives better.

5 Likes

It is the curse and promise of audiophilia. We need lots of albums to justify our purchase of lots of gear, which provokes the purchase of more albums…more gear…etc.

2 Likes

This is why I have made a few bookmarks that show me which albums I have not played (ever…via Roon). I am trying my best to play all my albums eventually. Also good way to uncover forgotten gems

2 Likes