What MQA are we listening to [2020-2024]

MQA of a new 96k master. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

16/44 MQA sounds so good.

RoonShareImage-637941134790001540

2 Likes

Another fine example of 44/16 MQA. And the music is definitely more than 3 :star: .

5 Likes

Thanks! Absolutely needed pure joy. Few will know now how the Twins were pioneers and massive influencers in the '80s. But as a collection, I miss ‘We Are Detective’ and ‘Watching’ (with Grace Jones)…hold on…

Also sounding amazing in 44.1/16 MQA…makes every beat infectious.

4 Likes

Wow! Wasn’t expecting this.

For me, ‘Animals’ is the hidden gem in the Floyd catalogue, but I am wary of remixes…why tamper with the original?

This taster (at 17 mins!) of the ‘Animals’ remix release is outstanding. Why? Well it isn’t the increased clarity; it is the urgency of the superb playing. It makes DSOTM and WYWH seem laidback. When Waters comes in @12 mins, in full sneer mode, it sounds like the most exciting thing they did.

7 Likes

For a change of mood, has this ever sounded so good?

‘All the leaves are brown’.

4 Likes

Ah-LI-Ayo!

2 Likes

The recordings by the label UNAMAS are truly spectacular. A real treat for your ears.

3 Likes

Hello, everyone.
I’m very curious about one of the most well-produced bands in history, and why they don’t seem to be coming up with any MQA streaming. I’m talking about Steely Dan. Besides Gaucho, there have been no more MQA releases on Tidal. Is this because their master tapes were lost in that fire back in 2008? Or is there some other licensing issue involved? I can find nothing online about this, but it seems extremely odd that a collection so revered by audiophiles, and previously released in SACD and other formats, is not being released in MQA.

Two Against Nature, and Everything Must Go are both in MQA.

Thanks for the response. I have noticed that those two are MQA. I just wondered if anyone knew why all the classic Steely Dan like Pretzel Logic and Aja are not, because it would seem like they would be some of the first to have been produced in MQA, due to their popularity among audiophiles.

Pure speculation, but the masters may have burned.

1 Like

Joel,
That was my initial deduction but what surprises me is no one has brought it up to try to figure it out. I mean, zero google find when you try to search Steely Dan MQA, except for descriptions of those same two albums. I was hoping I was just missing something and that eventually the rest of the catalog would be onboarded. Oh, well, maybe someone who knows about it will chime in at some point. I would think that someone in the band or with the studios would have a reel to reel version that could act as a close second to a master. Seems like Fagen would keep backup, you know?

This is a lenthly read but might shed some light but also raises new questions.

Seems the original analogue tapes are indeed in poor shape but it also indicated an AJa MQA Cd has been made. No idea where to find that.

Seems all more recent issues are from a couple of early digital masters which may well not have been higher res than CD.

My redbook CD rip of Aja sounds really good so I’m not desperate for it (although of course if it were available in hi-res/MQA I’d have it :upside_down_face:). I have the Gaucho hi-res and again the SQ is top drawer.

1 Like

Same here my red book cd is great as is my circa 1980 vinyl version. However a hi res MQA would be great too but I have not seen even a straight hi res version of anything but Gaucho.

This is for all my fellow prog rock/metal heads out there.
I recently discovered that all of my Qobuz Sonata Arctica albums had vanished from my Library.
A new search on Roon showed them still there but must be a different issue or different rights or something, darn annoying.
But…
I saw they were all now also in Tidal mqa versions so added those and gave them a spin.
Got to say verily impressed.
This is now the third MQA one I have listened to and I can highly recommend them.

1 Like

I keep all my Roon albums linked in both Tidal and Qobuz. Also, use Soundiz to send them all to Apple Music. That way, they’re always there or somewhere I can get to. There are only 58 of over 1300 albums that are not in both Tidal and Qobuz. Most are also in Apple Music.

Wow. A very insightful and well researched article. Thanks for sharing it.

2 Likes