What percentage of your music (roon and non-roon) music is in each media?

I used to get quite anxious about the heterogeneity of my music collection! I really wanted to be either a digital person or an analogue person, and if a digital person either a CD / SACD or a download / streaming person. Something about my minimalist impulses. Now I’m just trying to relax more and embrace the messiness!

1 Like

I really don’t care about mine either. I started the thread after reading a thread about .ISO support and wondered what people had.

1 Like

Well, that makes it easier:

.ISO - 0%
.everything_else - 99.99%

1 Like

LPs = 1,632 (all displayed and played from time to time and I just got done cataloging them all in a music collector software)
CD/Digital downloads = 5,536 (CDs are ripped and in boxes in the basement)
Tidal add-ins to Roon = less than 100

Some percentage of the CD and downloads are replacements for the vinyl but nowhere near one to one. I might estimate 20% duplicates.

I also tend to stream from Tidal more than listen to my local files but I don’t add those to my library. I do that to hopefully generate some ongoing revenue for the artists via streaming royalties.

Hi, I wonder, if someone has a subscription in Tidal or Qobuz and Roon, what’s the reason to rip his personal collection of CDs, LPs and singles? He can find most of them online and the same sound quality. Except maybe some non-reissued or rare LPs or special vinyl pressings. Sound right? Sorry about questions that might sound basic for most but I m just try to understand.

I bet most ripped their CDs prior to Tidal and Qobuz and Roon existing. I still purchase the occasional CD directly from the artist so they make the most $. I rip them and listen via Roon.

I don’t but many have transports that subjectively sound better than online services.

2 Likes

Well - I would imagine it’s still about ownership. I still like to own my own music, yup I’m a dying breed. :laughing:

The question is actually good Savvas. So much so, I can’t get my head around people not owning music and relying on some service their entire lives. However, it certainly seems that’s the trend as physical media sales have plummeted. Looking some 50 years into the future, who knows how music will look as technology advances so quickly.

Cheers.

My kids are 26 and 33 and they had CDs but have sold them all and only stream. My wife only plays CDs and I only stream but play a mix of my ripped CDs (as @Larry_Post says done way before legitimate streaming services arrived) and Tidal.
Tidal or Spotify when travelling.
I’m sure the CD owning demographic is heavily weighted to the mature end. :slight_smile:

A couple of points…

1. It seems to be the case that some earlier issues of CDs had better masters than the versions now available from the streaming services
  2. Streaming services have this nasty habit of dropping albums/artists from their service as a result of licensing changes. You’re lucky if you can track down the original CDs to plug the gaps in your collection…
1 Like

Sometimes the packaging, booklets are worth having.

1 Like

I would love to own 78’s…they’ve never been on my radar. My dad had a small collection ,but sold them late 80’s, when my folks moved to the States - he still regrets it. It’s not so much about not being able to buy them; gosh they were cheap for years. It’s was more about having the proper stylus to play them & come to think of it an actual turntable. My current TT & previous models, ever since I was in my early 20’s have never been 78 compatible. Cassettes - no, unless I had a Nakamichi Dragon in top condition.

Reel to reel would be great - no idea what I’d do with one of those machines, but I reckon they still look cool. I’m just a hoarder or maybe I love high end vintage gear. I don’t collect the gear - my music buying addiction is bad enough!

Don’t get me started Jim on a new spending spree. :laughing:

I have a sure fire cure for any such collecting urges. :bowing_woman:

I’ve got two players lurking in the cellar, a standup and a portable. I’ve got several records too (~100), but they’re getting old and brittle. It’s sad when you pull out a favorite only to find its broke. I’m not a “collector”, it’s much easier to store music on a network enabled HD!

2 Likes

DvD Audio = 209
Blu-Ray Audio = 42
SACD = 109
CD = 1139
LP = 1225
Roon = 2338

Any repeats?

All CDs/DVDs ripped to NAS and in storage.
“Files” are purchased downloads.
SACDs - what’s the point? Don’t know why I still have them since they’re all available in Qobuz in hi res.