What to do with CDs once ripped...?

… really a bummer, keeping them, though they will probably never be used again, seems stupid… selling them feels kinda bad too and the money u get is rediculous… so what’s to be done?

Mine sit in big plastic boxes in the attic.

Backups of last resort. Although they are probably all heat damaged by now.

You’re correct, by the way. Selling them on while keeping the rips, is copyright infringement.

4 Likes

… I’m pretty sure that I’ll never go through the hassle of ripping 1000+ CDs again… made a Backup and a backup of the Backup to make certain… so Backup is no real argument for keeping :wink:

1 Like

Yes, backup on-site (quick recovery) and off-site (fire, burglary, etc.)

Then donate CDs to library. This means you will always have access to a CD if you need it back.

I ripped all my CDs about 10 years ago and never need to go back to the “hard copy”

… thinking I might bring them all to a 2nd hand store… feels kinda bad too but after I switched to Roon and a decent streaming setup I don’t even own a CDP anymore…

Donate them, do you need my address? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As churlish as it seems, even donating or passing them on to a library/charity shope or whatever whilst retaining the rip is copyright infringement.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

5 Likes

After moving twice with 200 CD’s in boxes I sold them to a secondhand CD store. I have to amid, with pain in my heart.

Mine are boxed up and put in the loft. Box sets stay in the living room (pretty booklets, worth a read through now and then).
Here in the UK, ripping them is illegal as is getting rid of them and keeping the rip. In theory, as you are already a criminal for ripping them (CDs you paid good money for…) you might as well give them away to a charity shop so that some good comes of your criminal endeavours.

Edit: I have never heard of a prosecution for ripping your own CDs in the UK.

1 Like

The copyright legislation is interesting in different countries. In Finland it is legal to make copies for your own use, even if you get rid of the CD later. You can also get a CD from the library, make a copy and return it and it’s all perfectly legal. On the flipside, there is a fee added to the price of all storage devices and medium, to make up for that, even if you don’t make copies.

So far I’ve saved all my CDs though.

Mine are stored in boxes in the attic, which makes it a bit inconvenient when I want to follow along with the libretto. Scanning in the booklets of operas is just too tedious, and usually destroys the booklet binding

Yep, making a safety copy or a backup copy for own/private use is fine…

Mine are in boxes in the attic but considering transferring them to
AmazonBasics CD / DVD Binder 400 Disc Capacity Nylon Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DIHVMEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mpS8Bb8RNB9K5

Mine boxed in loft but they’re heavy and take space. In my heart of hearts I don’t trust that digital backups are enough for the future - not just for me but for anyone left if I were to suddenly depart (let’s be honest it can happen to any of us any second). Cds might be an ideal backup should a simpler setup be needed a I’m probably the only one that understands the setup / could be bothered to maintain it.

DVDs too but I really must rip those too.

I have hundreds of drinks coasters and a lovely mobile for Christmas…

One can only use so many pizza cutters even if its a one time use. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Play cut throw

1 Like

In twenty or thirty years’ time people may say “I wish I hadn’t got rid of my CD collection.” :smile:

They make good shooting targets! Mount em on a backboard, or toss 'em in the air. Or, hold them in your hands while the shooter fires. Or…

Maybe in 30 years they will have a resurgence in popularity like vinyl :stuck_out_tongue:

Suppose it’s best to keep - also selling price at the Moment brings tears to my eyes…