What to do with CDs once ripped...?

(Dom) #41

@MJB Thanks! Oh yes they are not going anywhere at the moment. Plus they are a colorful addition to the place.

Are those custom shelves? They look great

I also like two rows of ikea shelves on bottom for records and then cd shelving on top.

I play multichannel sacd rips but with conversion to pcm in the fly and hdmi cable.

(Christoph Longree) #43

Also decided to keep mine and integrate them into the music room :blush:

(Dom) #44

Hi, thanks! No they are simple Ikea Billy shelves with a lot of extra boards put in.

That was my guess. Looks great!

Tough to find cd shelving with that many rows high.

(Roon Dude) #46

I threw away the jewel cases (unfortunately couldn’t find a recycler who would accept them). Saved the booklets in shoe boxes and the discs in CD spindle cases. Takes up very little space.

(Reader of the Internets) #47

I use the 17L “Really Useful Box”, each of which holds about 90 CDs in jewel cases. Just ordered a couple more.

(Ralph Pantuso) #48

Years ago (I’ve been streaming audio for over 12 years) I put most of CD collection, by most I mean the ones that came in jewel cases, in these plastic sleeves sleeves . I put the disc, the booklet and the tray/back all together into the sleeve. I put these filled plastic sleeves back in the CD storage racks. The various CDs that came in cardboard cases I now use as place markers since I can no longer read the jewel case spines. Reduced my CD storage space by about two thirds. I now have access to the booklets, should I need, and even the discs themselves should my computer/Roon/network/etc no longer function. Oh and I threw away all the jewel cases.

(Darko.Audio contributor) #49

Anything you can do…

I can do half as well…

I have to say they look better in black. Mine are IKEA Besta - the 20cm depth version - although they don’t do these 192cm tall ones any more.

(Dom) #50

Looks great, having the shelves just 20 cm deep is very good. With the Ikea Billy there is a lot of extra space behind the CDs.
I must say having the CDs presented in a nice shelf makes a place look warmer and more interesting. Obviously it is all a matter of space, Even though I have probably not actually put a CD in my player for a very long time, it is nice to not only have the music around virtually.

(Darko.Audio contributor) #51

Dom

My CDs are generally for looks only as well. Although the GoldNote CD player I’ve just had in for review has caused me to think a bit - it sounded lovely.

Phil

Thermoplastic CD cases, half or less thick as the original jewel case. Kept most of the flyers. Put them in CD storage boxes, then in the storage unit I “acquired” when we downsized. I’m sure the kids will throw away after I’m gone.

(Christoph Longree) #53

Have you ever compared playback between a cd transport playing a cd and a streamer streaming a lossless rip from the same cd? How were your findings - what does it take to make the cd sound as good as its lossless rip? I know this has been discussed many times - still curious about other people’s experience though:-)

(Darko.Audio contributor) #54

Christoph

I have just reviewed a £4k GoldNote CD player over at Darko Audio, and did exactly what you suggest. The CD player won. Hands down won. Which surprised me, but I can only say what I heard.

I used the DAC in the GoldNote to play the ripped file (coax in). I played both rip and CD through a Mytek Liberty as well. Obviously my findings were specific to the equipment I used.

Although …I visited dCS recently for a factory visit (article also on Darko - apologies if this is becoming an advert). Interestingly they said the Vivaldi was originlly envisaged as a disc playing system as they couldn’t get its network card sounding as good as CD. That’s now changed with subsequent software releases, but I think it shows that there’s life in CD yet.

The real irony is that CD sounded more analogue than streaming :rofl:

(Darko.Audio contributor) #55

For completeness, the endpoint was an Allo Digione. So good but not the best.

I still have the GoldNote as I’m getting a dCS Bridge in soon and am hoping to be able to repeat the test with that in the system. May or may not happen depending on timing

(Christoph Longree) #56

Amazing :slight_smile:

(Michael France) #57

If you have a good streamer, and you are using the same dac, they sound the same. I couldn’t verify this until I replaced one of my Squeezebox Touches with a Simaudio Mind 2. Now I have no use for the CDs, and 3 other SBT’s I can’t wait to replace. I’ll probably just keep the Cds though, they look good on the wall.

(Christoph Longree) #58

I actually use the Autalic Aries G2 streamer and I even find it superior to my previous McIntosh CDP. But all in all I think the differences are minimal at best… and if there are differences the question is „objectively better or better 4 my personal tastes“…

(Ralph Pantuso) #59

That says it all.

(Darko.Audio contributor) #60

Michael

I’m not sure I agree with you, I’m hearing of others whose experience is the same as mine. Stress not sure though, as the DigiOne I used is good but not a top level streamer.

Hopefully I’ll be able to give a more definitive answer soon if I can get the timing to work out. I’m due a Roon Bridge in for review, and have so far managed to hang on to the GoldNote CD player. The GN has a coax out, as does the Bridge. So both can go into the same DAC. Or I can play the Bridge through the GoldNote’s coax input. Whichever, I’ll be eliminating most variables.

Fingers crossed the timing works out, I’m keen to see what the outcome is.

Phil