What we are listening to [2018]

RoonShareImage-636693549880274827

1 Like

Guaraldi and Sete team up again for another attractive, mostly bossa nova session, this time with a softer-focused rhythm section, shorter tracks, and more Guaraldi tunes (4) on the menu than before. Guaraldi’s quasi-Oriental “Ginza” is resurrected and retooled, “The Girl From Ipanema” and “A Taste Of Honey” are dutifully covered, and the most amusing track is Vince’s tongue-in-cheek, slightly rock-ish cha-cha “The Ballad Of Pancho Villa.” Although Guaraldi was in somewhat fresher form in his other albums with Sete, this one won’t disappoint his fans
RoonShareImage-636693510976770460

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

@miss_my_zune, when I saw Gillian and Dave in Melbourne in 2016 they did Dream a Highway as an encore. It was fabulous.

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

@andybob Darn, appears that it once was on Tidal but no longer (at least not in the U.S.)

3 Likes

@andybob I am a huge fan of Bernard Hermann, especially his scores for Alfred Hitchcock films and fantasy films with special effects artist Ray Harryhausen. I just posted my favorite of his fantasy film scores for “The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.”

1 Like

6 Likes

4 Likes

@andybob…great choice…very deep stuff…

1 Like

5 Likes

Just happened upon this with the radio feature, had a look and played it. Fantastic interpretations!

2 Likes

Album: Dallëndyshe
Artists: Elina Duni Quartet
Label: ECM
Released: 2015

RoonShareImage-EDQ

2 Likes

1 Like

Yes, it’s fabulous.
I love the setting, with just vocal, bass and sax — the clarity of the voices is fascinating.
And of course the artists are great: Stephan Crump, who plays bass with Vijay Iyer, and Chris Cheek who plays sax everywhere.

I also like this album, with the same setting:

Grenadier plays everywhere, recently on Hudson with DeJohnette, Medeski and Scofield; McHenry has played with Guillermo Klein.

I was talking with Stephan and Jen, and found they are friends with Rebecca and Larry, and both women are married to the bassists.

I looove tracing links.

2 Likes

3 Likes