What we are listening to [2018]

4 Likes

Flutist Magnus Lindgren leads a venerable group of musicians on Stockholm Underground, an homage to Herbie Mann’s 1969 release Memphis Underground. Featuring leading artists from the Stockholm jazz scene such as guitarist Henrik Janson, bassist Lars Danielsson and drummer Per Lindvall, this is a sweet, funky tribute that puts a Scandinavian spin on a collection of soul and rock classics. The special guests are Eric Bibb, Till Brönner and Ida Sand.

6 Likes

Now for something - well, not completely, but still - different; for me at least … :sunglasses:
Interesting.

Album: Origami Harvest
Artist: Ambrose Akinmusire
Label: Blue :musical_note:
Release: 2018

4 Likes

3 Likes

The work of Fred Hersch, the great American jazz pianist, is masterly but not fashionable – he stays close to the tradition and loves lyrical songs. Nevertheless, the poise and sheen of his work always marks him out. This set, from his regular trio featuring bassist John Hébert and drummer Eric McPherson, comprises seven originals, two standards and Thelonious Monk’s Let’s Cool One. An account of You and the Night and the Music is a breathtaking piece of uptempo contrapuntalism, his left hand striking out on an imperiously different melodic path to the classic theme on the right, while McPherson’s airy rimshots snap. The title track is a poignant ballad caressed by a soft countermelody; West Virginia Rose (for Hersch’s mother) is a country melody with faintly Jarrett-like resolutions; Home Fries is a catchy groover with a dazzling improv run, and the Chick Corea-like Arcata (for Esperanza Spalding) is a feature for Hébert’s nimble precision. Hersch’s interpretation of Let’s Cool One, which closes the set, lends Monk’s wayward music something engagingly close to daintiness.

(John Fordham for The Guardian [July 10th, 2014])

8 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like

11 Likes

7 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Sorry on a train and no Roon.

Back home and over to Cory. Tremendous album.

Hmm I know where this is going tonight.

2 Likes

Very heavy doom/death metal. :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Album: Mendelssohn: Trio No. 1 · Ravel: Trio in A minor
Artists: Arthur Rubinstein, Jascha Heifetz, Gregor Piatigorsky
Label: RCA Victor (original release)
Release: 1951 (original release)

RHP

I “found” it on a competitively priced :smirk: 10 CD set. Seems to be sourced from some remastered reissue and somehow lacks what I’d call authenticity – sounds kind of flat; as if one applied too much noise reduction. I’ve obviously got what I’d paid for…

RoonShareImage-636753060708229396

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like