What we are listening to [2018]

I am having a Radio Paradise period of late.

1 Like

Paolo Fresu is one of today’s most gifted and well-known trumpeters. He counts Miles Davis and Chet Baker among his primary influences, and his own unique sound and music are at once clear, brilliant and joyful. Fresu founded the Devil Quartet in 2004 together with three fantastic musicians and close friends - guitarist Bebo Ferra, bass player Paolino Dalla Porta and drummer Stefano Bagnoli. In keeping with the Quartet’s name, “Desertico”, is devilishly inventive and beautiful. Consisting of original compositions - except for a captivating version of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” and a poignant version of “Blame It On My Youth” - the album is infused with a delightful blend of serenity and jubilation.

6 Likes

« A thoughtful chill runs through the music of BenoĂźt Delbecq, a French pianist of investigative temperament and crystalline technique. There’s a ton of compressed energy in his playing, but he projects an unflappable calm ». These lines from the New York Times in 2010 by jazz critic Nate Chinen offer a pertinent description of Delbecq’s music. Delbecq is a multi-awarded Parisian pianist and composer, a type-setter who persists in developing his ideas among which a very rhythmic approach that brings the soul of jazz to John Cage’s prepared piano. Delbecq may prepare just a few strings with wood sticks then sit at the piano become a percussion-and-piano ensemble. Delbecq is curious with sound, the rhythm of prose, and mutating loops of sound fabrics. His musical thrust continues to weave some outstanding and compelling tapestries for our delight.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Interesting differences between two “Complete” albums by The Smiths on Tidal.

• The 2011 remaster (non-MQA version), allegedly, according to the liner notes, by Johnny Marr, contains 106 tracks. There are no separate discs, although maybe I edited it as some point to eliminate the discs. Just can’t recall.:thinking:

• The MQA version, on the other hand, has the original release date of 1993 and contains four discs with a total of only 40 songs. The last disc indicates that the 10 cuts are from the 2011 remaster. There are no liner notes.

Observations:

1. Why wouldn’t the MQA version contain all 106 tracks? Rights issue, perhaps?
  2. Why would MQA only treat 10 tracks with their processing? Again, perhaps a rights issue?
  3. Where are the liner notes for the MQA version? Also, how come Roon doesn’t list the different versions that are available? Maybe it’s a metadata problem, I guess.
  4. Incidentally, both albums sound terrific! I won’t get into the MQA debate here! :rofl:

Complete%20MQA
1 Like

My wife teases me about liking Abba because I think “Knowing Me, Knowing You” is one of the best-crafted pop songs. On the other hand, I cannot listen to any of their other songs without wincing. Same for Barry Manilow. I really like “Mandy” but cannot be in the room for any of his other songs. Go figure. :rofl:

It was the topic of another thread earlier in the day which drew me to listen to it. Some songs are rather good, some I must press the skip button
:dizzy_face:. There are things in my own collection I don’t listen to anymore, but ABBA still gets a spin from time to time.

Ah c’mon you can stand ‘day before you came’ can you?

2 Likes

Gimme Gimme Gimme (a man after midnight) is worth a chuckle

1 Like

@Dick_Vliek Just checked out the YouTube video to that tune. That’s an awful song! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Have you heard this remake from 1987!

It’s one of their most accomplished songs 
 brilliant mix of music and lyric 
 quite sinister too.

1 Like

9 Likes

RoonShareImage-636788580877629777
Nils makes ABBA bearable :sunglasses:

2 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes