What we are listening to [2020]

5 Likes

RoonShareImage-637305054626484942

3 Likes

Wow! I didn’t see this coming. I have always been a Diamond Head fan. In 1980 I ordered their ‘White Album’ through the Sounds advert. And this is an excellent re-recording. It’s really well done and a pleasure to listen to.

2 Likes

I’m in Australia and don’t have access to Qobuz so can’t compare. Here’s a screen image of the signal path. I also don’t have headphones of a quality which would show the ‘special’ features of the recording so can’t really tell how/whether this FLAC file is ‘special’. Sounds great on speakers though!

2 Likes

Just checked PrestoClassical in the UK; they have 3 versions of this:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=spem%20in%20alium%20ora

And, when I search Tidal, this is the only version that comes up!
Weird…

RoonShareImage-637420779649593040

2 Likes

Very influencal album to many metal bands! Do you know if this is completely re-recorded or partly remastered?

1 Like

A complete re-recording. The guitar sound is great and the vocals even better.
They also recorded a few covers from bands that influenced them:

Metallica - No Remorse
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
Judas Priest - Sinner
Deep Purple - Rat Bat Blue

All of them are great.

1 Like

Thanks, sounds very good!

5 Likes

6 Likes

I have never been much attracted to choral music… but this is beginning to change. My indifference towards this kind of music might have its origin simply in my failure to spend more time in Britain, where there seems to live on a quite strong tradition of choral music, both spiritual and secular.

After listening to Paul McCreesh and Gabrieli’s recording of Purcell’s ‘The Fairy Queen’ I began to explore other recordings of this and other choral ensembles - Tenebrae, The Sixteen, The King’s Singers… Thereby I stumbled upon the genus of the British part song, quite unknown to me.

From Wikipedia: A part song, part-song or partsong is a form of choral music that consists of a secular (vs. ecclesiastical) song written or arranged for several vocal parts. Part songs are commonly sung by an SATB choir, but sometimes for an all-male or all-female ensemble. This music is usually homophonic, meaning that the highest part carries the melody and the other voices or parts supply the accompanying harmonies, in contrast to songs that are contrapuntal, as are madrigals. Part songs are intended to be sung a cappella, that is without accompaniment, unless an instrumental accompaniment is particularly specified.

Here McCreesh and Gabrieli’s enchanting recording of 20th century part songs, released in 2017.

7 Likes

4 Likes

RoonShareImage-637422012364060922

6 Likes

RoonShareImage-637421788264791680

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637421790325716890

5 Likes

You’ll have to rethink your moniker soon, it seems… :rofl:

3 Likes

Baroquehound . :grinning:

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Love it! Might just have to set up another account!

Normal programming has resumed :grinning:

1 Like