What We Are Listening To [2021-12]

This is getting my fusion blood pumping, excellent!

4 Likes

Perhaps he is not looking for a large worldwide fan base after the experiences with major labels, but with his style “Brian Wilson/Serge Gainsbourg” and tribute performances for Ennio Morricone, among others, primarily the particularly interested local audience in direct contact and direct sales in changing formations, just as friendly artists find time and motivation to put something together for a small but fine audience on the legs.

I also find the last cover very interesting, he expresses for me with it that we should pay more attention to the written lyrics. It’s not a loud message, but the usual quiet message that makes it a secret that only the most passionate collectors unerringly explore.

If you turn around 2000 people into real pearl fishermen, you can safely make a living before and after Corona.

He has also long ceased to be a driven man, but someone who sets his own pace. There is no need to sell a new album every year.

Agreed, I have 1st pressing of this very album

1 Like

10 Likes

12 Likes

While the new Roon feature list looks pretty interesting this is my most anticipated release of the week. Only one track on Qobuz right now but just a couple of days to go…

Edit Reading the feature list and this overhauled search notes I’m going to get in one last (optimistic?) nostalgic cry of Roon Search, GRRRRRRRR…
Here’s hoping that’s the last of that sort of thing.

8 Likes

Not sure about this one, after listening through the entire album for the first time - I can not help thinking this is an album that should never have been made. It is not all bad, and will give it a few more runs before deciding.

7 Likes

RoonShareImage-637751749581699795

… by the fire on a chilly winter day:

RoonShareImage-637751786095712150

11 Likes

4 Likes

I’m so glad it’s not just me! The songs are nowhere near the usual standard and Neil’s voice sounds a bit thin in places. Yes, I know he is 76 years old, but I have not been so disappointed with any of his recent output as I am with this one. I’m sure the next album will be along soon enough :smiley:

4 Likes

Nice post @Uwe_Albrecht
You make a lot of valid points. My sadness is that many of his songs are good enough to be picked up by ‘other/bigger’ artists. This would potentially allow David the creative freedom that is currently restricted due to financial restraints. I believe he makes an album when he can afford to do it, rather than a lack of desire to create new music more frequently.

I like your comments about the cover art. I think the typewriter is also a symbol of ‘past times’ when song writing in the era of Brian Wilson/Jimmy Webb/Laura Nyro, was different to the computerised process of today.

This is a nice interview with ‘Davie’. You may need to answer a simple survey question to read the article, but it is very interesting.

David Scott: ‘Let’s make an amazing record. That was always the driving thing.’ | HeraldScotland

1 Like

2 Likes

Found by Roon Radio

1 Like

Always a pleasure to revisit this classic.

RoonShareImage-637752088651620080

10 Likes

10 Likes

Last night it was one Grizzly Bear album after another, tonight it seems to be Arcade Fire.

For me this is the last of their great albums (to date).

RoonShareImage-637752128793684790

9 Likes

A recent discovery, and a very fine one it is… I wasn’t aware of the French ensemble Akadêmia and its wonderful recordings to explore…

7 Likes

8 Likes

7 Likes