What We Are Listening To [2022-10]

Already Playing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Also from yesterday in my studio (where I spend as much as I can) was only Szymanowski: Complete Piano Music by Martin Jones :slight_smile:

1 Like

This new release really is excellent. SQ is superb, and wonderful playing. Highly recommended.

6 Likes

6 Likes

You really enjoy the Chopin Nocturnes by Fazil Say… :grinning:

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Usually there in the living room music playing non stop. So it is easy to get high numbers.

Glass was a request from one of my girls, “just leave it on, dad”

1 Like

4 Likes

1 Like

Death metal with tech/prog elements…

2 Likes

6 Likes

10 Likes

Listening to a 24-96 needle drop of the 2017 Mobility Sound Lab release (limited to 6,000 hand-numbered copies) [Donald Fagen – The Nightfly (2017, 180g, Vinyl) - Discogs] of this classic album, one of the first to ever be digitally recorded way back in 1982.

Here’s a link [The Best Version Of... Donald Fagen’s The Nightfly - The Best Version Of ... - Audiophile Style] to a discussion of the best ever version of this album. An excerpt:

"One of the first digitally recorded albums, The Nightfly’s sound was crafted by the all-star team of producer Gary Katz and engineers Roger Nichols and Elliot Scheiner, and it was mastered by the equally legendary Robert Ludwig. Upon its release, The Nightfly instantly garnered a reputation as an audiophile album par excellence, becoming “a popular demonstration record in hi-fi stores across the globe,” as Sound on Sound’s Paul Tingen put it. Sony was so impressed with The Nightfly’s sound quality that it asked for permission to make it one of the first albums released on CD so that it could be used to demonstrate the then-new format at audio trade shows.

Its status has scarcely diminished in the intervening four decades. The Nightfly still prompts extensivediscussion on the audio-related interwebs, and it regularly turns up as audition material in gear reviews in the pages of Stereophile (and Audiophile Style). In 1997, cognitive psychologist, producer, and writer Daniel Levitin included The Nightfly in his list of “high-fidelity masterpieces.” Likewise, when the BBC asked Sound on Sound’s editor-in-chief Paul White in 2006 what the best recording ever was, he replied “that’s so hard,” then landed on The Nightfly. This past November, KEF produced its own list of the “Top 24 Best Sounding Pop Albums of All Time.” The Nightfly came in seventh."

RoonShareImage-638014506554803880

4 Likes

3 Likes

Can’t sleep so the music plays on.

6 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

RoonShareImage-638014670430648933

6 Likes

John Zorn
Spinoza (2022)

John Zorn wears many capes. This is not John Zorn in jazz or chamber music mode, it’s avant-garde/fusion through to metal style John. His work is so varied and output outrageous, that it is easy to love John’s music, but only of a particular style. Roon tells me I have 49 Zorn albums, but I don’t think that includes his work under all guises and works with others on his own label.

John Zorn appears on over 400 recordings as a composer or performer. (Wiki)

John Zorn

4 Likes

Mount Eerie
Pre-Human Ideas (2013)

If you don’t like computer-generated vocals steer clear. This predates Lambchop’s foray into forms of electronic vocals by a few years and I think Kurt Wagner has taken some inspiration from Phil Elverum. Musically the vocals seem apt and on this release, I did not yearn for Phil’s often tender and melancholic vocals. I really enjoyed this album upon release & it’s no less enjoyable today!

Pre-Human Ideas is a step toward breaking the barrier between disparate environments—mountains and websites—all by creating something using a simple computer program. Meditate on that during the organ prologue and epilogue here, and better know Phil Elverum. (Pitchfork)

Mount Eerie

3 Likes