What We Are Listening To [2022-11]

Do you know Waits’s version of It’s All Right With Me? It’s track 9 on this album:

The song was made famous by Ella Fitzgerald. I advise you to listen to her version first and prepare to be pleasantly shocked when listening to Waits’s version! :smiley:

RoonShareImage-637999020565835230

7 Likes

I know the Ella Fitzgerald version and own that album (like her so much I named one of the kids after her). Never heard Tom Wait’s take on it, will put that right. I’ve queued them both in the order suggested after Franks Wild Years. Thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a good follow-up to (the atmosphere of) Franks Wild Years, curious what you think of it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will check this out, too.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Very good. Added it to my lib.

1 Like

9 Likes

It’s good, isn’t it? I think it’s brilliant. It’s Tom Waits doing a parody on Tom Waits, but in a good and tasteful way. Everything is completely over the top, yet in a coherent way. The voice more twisted than ever, the singing saw, even the little birds… It’s a five minute masterpiece, a symphony! :smiley:

Edit: oops, you were talking about a completely different album! :joy:

1 Like

:joy: but your comparison quest here is fantastic as well! Enjoyed it, thank you @Grump!

1 Like

I may have mentioned it before (yawn) but I saw them in 1979.
As an aside, the concerts that formed the basis of “The Song Remains the Same” are worth a listen, if you can find them somewhere.

2 Likes

So I’ve now had a listen following a brief interruption. Who does ad-hoc work calls at 5 PM on a Friday evening, particularly from a time zone an hour ahead of me?

I see where you’re coming from, you could put TW’s version onto Frank’s Wild Years or Big Time for that matter, and it’d feel like it belonged. I liked plenty thanks and added to the library. Next up on Radio Grump (inspired by):

3 Likes

4 Likes

This is pretty good.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Memorable advert

5 Likes

Last one before the England game.

9 Likes

Put it on fast forward they are walking out onto the pitch now.

2 Likes

:laughing: I meant it was my last album. Just finished. Funny, the Star Spangled Banner always reminds me of the scene in Poltergeist where Craig T Nelson is sleeping in front of the TV…before everything starts to go weird.
Good luck England!

1 Like

That’s a terrific album, in every sense of the word! Now you’ve inspired me. Just returned from volunteering at the local arthouse cinema, time to play my favorite Scott Walker album. Very cinematic indeed. Thanks!

7605AFF5-A6BE-4A01-811B-B9ED68DB919F

6 Likes

8 Likes